Rap Lyrics: Obscene Or Not | Teen Ink

Rap Lyrics: Obscene Or Not MAG

By Anonymous

   Commenting on an opinion article published in the October issue of The 21st Century, I totally disagree with Jamie Martin. Jamie has his own separate opinion. I'm not saying he is wrong, I'm saying I think obscenity is acceptable if the listening audience can handle it. If people protest against rap groups being obscene, they are going to protest against heavy metal, and then eventually even comedians. I'm not protecting The 2 Live Crew which was the beginning of labelling albums. Yes, I listen to The 2 Live Crew and a lot of groups that are infamous for bad lyrics, like N.W.A., Eazy-E, and Ice Cube, but lots of the songs can't be expressed without obscenity.

Lyrics from The Boyz on the Hood (N.W.A.) tell experiences of rape, robbery, drugs and racism, which are true stories from Los Angeles. When people protest rap they give all rap groups a bad reputation. Not all rap groups are obscene , for example: Vanilla Ice, Kid AN Play, Young MC, Tone Loc, and especially M.C. Hammer, whose song lyrics are not obscene at all.

Hammer shouldn't be mixed up in the controversy of these groups, but when people say " rap" and he raps.... Some lyrics are put together by many groups for good causes, for example: "The Stop the Violence Movement" and "We're All in the Same Gang" by the West Coast Rap All Stars. When Jamie Martin suggests to "nail down the radio dial on the jazz station," how many teenagers do you think are going to listen to jazz?n