Growing Importance Of Third Parties | Teen Ink

Growing Importance Of Third Parties MAG

As members of the future generation, we must iconsider the implications of elections even though at times politics may seem insignificant. Voting is a right we all possess after we turn 18, and we should exercise this right based on informed choices.

The founders of America believed government should represent the people. But for decades, Americans have never thought about voting for anyone who was not on either the Democratic or Republican ticket and this has resulted in a succession of career politicians who don't have our best interest in mind. The Ross Perot phenomenon was a testament to the fact that Americans are looking for a significant change from the traditional two-party system. In four years we may not have another billionaire running for the presidency, but we will have new viable alternatives from the Libertarian Party, the Natural Law Party, the New Alliance Party, and other emerging forces.

In 1992, many candidates running for state and federal Congressional districts were independent. For example, in Connecticut we had nominees running on the "A Connecticut Party" ticket. There has been talk of a new Independence Party which may begin campaigning nationally as early as 1994.

Print media and television are partly to blame for the lack of information about voting options. This past year we heard it said that there were only three major party candidates, but who is to determine just what constitutes a "major" party? For example, Libertarian presidential candidate Andre Marrou and his running mate Nancy Lord were placed on the ballot in all 50 states by volunteers across the nation, but TV and newspapers gave them unequal coverage and the debate commission denied them the right to appear on the television debates, despite the fact that they met all the requirements.

Luckily, we are seeing increasing interest in computer networks and the Electronic Town Hall concept since they provide a way to talk directly to other voters without censorship based on party affiliation. If this trend continues, we can expect a third party president will be elected from grass-roots Americans just like you and me, and we will no longer have the elections predetermined by journalists and pollsters before even one vote has been cast. I view this as a positive move. After all, our future and the future of our country is valuable to protect. So, in upcoming years when many of you vote for the first time, be sure to be informed about candidates running on third-party platforms: You can make a difference. n

HOPEMVP said...
Cause Liberals are not what u stated or spelled out in this article. WATCH GLENN BECK! and READ FACTS!

HOPEMVP said...
You know Liberals are different right?