Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged Yourself | Teen Ink

Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged Yourself MAG

Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged Yourself

by K. L., Old Orchard Beach, ME

There is a great problem in this country today. I believe part of the blame for poverty, racism, sexism, violence and hatred in the United States stems from religion. I recall a speech by Harry S. Truman saying that we must use the A-bomb "the way God intended." What is God's intention? To destroy the planet? Worldwide genocide? I have seen reflections of uncaring among religious peoples for the problems of the world, especially the environment.

Christianity has been the cause of death for thousands in history. Events include the Spanish Inquisition, the Holy Crusades and the Salem Witch Trials. Even today, blacks and gays are being killed "in the name of God." I thought God was supposed to be the "all-loving"? I guess He was at the beginning, but it seems like things have changed.

I once attended a Pentecostal service and the pastor rattled off nothing but what can be called "fire and brimstone." The man was screaming rather loudly about how all sinners will burn, and how Christ will punish those who, in truth, have done nothing wrong, like gay people and blacks. If you were anything but a white, heterosexual blind follower of God, you were made to feel miserable. This was the impression I was given.

I myself have different beliefs. I am a polytheist, one who believes in many gods. I am fascinated by sorcery, mysticism, and mythology, and have expressed this in many of the things that I have done. However, even I haven't escaped taunts. I have repeatedly been misunderstood by many people because of my different beliefs, and there have been suggestions by a few people that I am an evil person. Nothing could be further from the truth, but I've learned that it's safer for me merely to ignore them rather than to fight what they say. I've heard the phrase "Thou dost protest too much ..." which means "Denial is the first symptom of guilt." I might be labeled a rebel, a heretic or just a very strange person, but I personally don't care what they call me. Having been judged or misjudged so many times, I've learned not to judge people for what they believe. "Judge not, lest ye be judged yourself."

Wheat_Wheat said...
You're very right, do not let relgious people tell you other wise. Religion makes women seem so little, they hate what give them life, they hate what is different and what questions "their god". You're very insightful. I enjoy your writing.