A Letter to Younger Me | Teen Ink

A Letter to Younger Me

Dear Little Me,

Today is the day! You’ve waited a long time to be here, at sleepaway camp, for the first time. I know that it’s scary. I know you don’t think you’ll make friends, or have fun, or will be able to survive, but you got this, girly. You aren’t alone; over 1.4 million people, both children and adults, attend camp every year in America. That’s a lot of possible friends to make!

I know there are many camps to choose from. The American Camp Association, or ACA, reports there are over 14,000 camps in the United States. Of these, 5,600 are day camps and 8,400 are sleepaway camps like the one you’re going to.

I understand you’re afraid. In a study conducted by the ACA, 74% of campers said they did things at camp that scared them at first. These challenges create positive personal growth and grow your self-confidence.

The camp industry, estimated to be worth over eighteen billion dollars, has greatly changed since the early 1900s. Nowadays, some camps focus solely on theatre or the arts. Others offer not just the traditional hiking and horseback riding, but a much wider selection of activities including fencing, cooking, and even laser tag. Sleepaway camps for adults, which were unheard of until recently, now dot the country. And, of course, who can forget how far we’ve come from swimming holes.

I know all of this is overwhelming, but fear not. Trust me, you will make friends. I know that now, you and your peers may be silently staring at the wooden floor, but you soon will be holding cabin dance parties and giggling as you sloppily paint each others’ fingernails. In the same study, 96% of campers reported that camp helped them make new friends, and 93% of children said camp helped them make friends different from themselves, so you’ve got this in the bag. In addition, 69% of parent said their child still talks to their camp friends, creating friendships that last a lifetime.

While spending three weeks away from home may seem like a daunting task, I want you to know you’ve got this. 92% of campers said the people at camp helped them to feel better about themselves, and 70% of parents stated their child attained more self-confidence while at camp.

I know you’ll have fun, and who knows, you may want to become a counselor one day. 83% of camp counselors said being in a unified camp environment changed them for the better. As a counselor, you will learn responsibility and leadership, both of which being important skills for life.

I know you’ll going to love it here, and I can’t wait to see how you will grow. But before I go, I want you to know that you should make sure to invest in good water shoes. No joke. I promise, they really do make a difference, but back to what I was saying. Don’t be afraid to challenge yourself, and, most importantly, don’t forget to have fun!