Sexual Harrasment: The Hidden Truth | Teen Ink

Sexual Harrasment: The Hidden Truth MAG

By Anonymous

   When most people think of sexual harassment, they think of a guy grabbing a girl.However, sexual harassment can be something as "insignificant" as beingcalled a slur. It is anything that makes a girl, or boy, feel uncomfortable abouthis/her sexuality.

According to the law, sexual harassment is anythingfrom unwelcome sexual advances and requests for sexual favors to verbalstatements of a sexual nature. It also violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Actof 1964 in addition to Title IX of the Education Code. The Sexual HarassmentPolicy which is in effect in all schools and work-places is aimed at providing anacademic and work environment free of harassment. This includes sexual harassmentand every form of intimidation or exploitation.

Sexual harassment is aliveand thriving not only in the workplace, but also in schools. Despite all the TVshows, headlines, news broadcasts and negative publicity in movies about theharmful effects of sexual harassment, it is still one of the most frequentlyreported complaints in the workplace and schools, according to WASH (WomenAgainst Sexual Harassment).

Most students have probably heard of thehighly publicized Anita Hill and Clarence Thomas case, or cases of women suingtheir bosses. But there is another form of sexual harassment that unfortunatelydoesn't get as much publicity. It happens where females should be learning theirrights as "citizens" and being educated about them ... in ourschools.

Girls often accept verbal insults on a regular basis. Even thoughboys say these are "in jest," it has become common (and evenacceptable) for males to refer to females derogatorily. Often males, as they walkpast a female's locker, will "reach out and touch" a part of her, andthe girl is too embarrassed to do anything more than

just laugh or ignoreit. Girls have to be aware of their rights. Recently, a high school girl sued herschool and won a settlement of

$600,000 because the administration tookno action to stop the sexual harassment.

Many females who have beenharassed face administrators and other adults who give them the "boys willbe boys" response. This encourages females to believe that sexual harassmentis acceptable in today's society. However, harassment at a young age can havelong-lasting, detrimental effects. It may have a severe impact on self-esteem and makegirls feel self-conscious about their bodies.

When a female does not takeaction against sexual harassment, not only does it negatively affect her as anindividual, but it also gives others, who see the abuse, the idea that it isacceptable to be treated like a sex object and humiliated. Ignoring this negativebehavior toward girls encourages them to accept mental or physical abuse, and mayencourage young boys to become rapists or wife beaters. So girls, SPEAK OUT!?