Appreciation Brings Positivity | Teen Ink

Appreciation Brings Positivity

By haleyemartin BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
haleyemartin BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

Someone could have it worse. Someone out there is fighting something worse than the problem you are having. Someone doesn’t have a house or food, not even water. Someone could be fighting a disease, and is scared because there is no medication. That is why I believe we need to be more appreciative.

This past summer, my eyes really opened when I visited Costa Rica for ten days. As soon as we got off of the plane, you could see the complete change between what we have here and what they have there.

I toured many different cities, and I couldn’t help but notice the different clothing styles, different water, and the small shacks used as houses. I didn’t realize how lucky I actually had it. I feel like our society today doesn’t realize that there are bigger problems out there than we are facing.

Often, people easily overlook something that might be considered normal. For example, it is “normal” to have a house with your own room and bed. I learned that in many countries it is a reward to sleep in your own bed in a room that isn’t shared with the rest of your family. I believe being more appreciative can help others. Once we realize how lucky we have it, we can start helping others that aren’t so lucky.

Positivity can be spread once we are more appreciative. People wouldn’t be as negative with their lives. The amount of complaining would also decrease because people would finally realize we shouldn’t complain about things we have.

I believe we should be more appreciative. Be aware of what you have and how so many other people don’t have that. Someone could be fighting a disease or not have a home. Appreciate how lucky you are.

This piece is an article about something that helped me really open my eyes and help me become more appreciative.