What Freedom of Speech Means To Me | Teen Ink

What Freedom of Speech Means To Me

By poetrymaker0118 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
poetrymaker0118 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

I remember it like it was yesterday; my fifth grade class all gathering on stage, getting ready for the Veteran’s Day Presentation that we had practiced for weeks. I remember looking out into the crowd and seeing the crisp navy blue and camouflage uniforms; many gleaming, adorned with badges of rank and honor, all reflecting in the lights of our auditorium. I saw veterans wearing their uniforms with pride, and I admired their service to our country and felt a strange surge of patriotism. I had sometimes thought about what freedom of speech meant to me, but that day I finally knew.

These men had fought and defended our country bravely so that I could have the rights and freedoms I enjoy everyday in America and that we often take for granted, such as Freedom of Speech. I realized that I could freely express whatever thoughts I might have about our country, our President, a war, or action we might take against another country, all without any fear of personal threats against me. In many countries of the world that is simply not possible.

Freedom of Speech is getting to voice our appreciation for all that these Veterans have done for our country. Freedom of speech is the right to stand up and yell against our government officials that we happen to disagree with, without having to worry if we are about to be prosecuted for doing so. Freedom of speech is veterans telling their stories about the wars they fought and how that experience made them feel, whether it supports the government’s position or not. Freedom of speech is being able to speak out the truth exactly as you see it.

Honoring these veterans reminded me of just how fortunate we are to live in America. Looking at the emotion in their eyes, shimmering in the light, I saw that they felt it too, and even more deeply than me. They helped pay the high price for the precious Freedom of Speech we so greatly cherish, and maybe a little too comfortably enjoy, today.