Brave New World by Aldous Huxley | Teen Ink

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

July 12, 2018
By Anonymous

The use of advanced technology runs society and completely controls people’s thoughts. In the book Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, the author thoroughly illustrates the dangers of the idea that people rely on technology too much and in many ways, which can lead to a loss of individuality. It is useful to learn more about the author’s philosophy based on the relationship between the natural world and a world full of technology portrayed in this book. This story mainly traces the stories of John, the protagonist, who is inspired by Shakespeare, and tries to change the ‘new world’ into one without savagery. 

One symbol of this technology fear that is repeated in the book is the artificial embryo. It represents technology development in which people can plant their ideologies into the embryo so that when babies are born, they will easily be controlled by the government. Ironically, people think what they are doing to the embryos is progressive and part of a ‘brave new world’. The second symbol, which also could be considered technology development is a drug called soma. It sort of works the same way as the artificial embryo which also manipulates people’s minds.

Moreover, Brave New World was written in an unemotional style which reflects that technology is the dominant, mechanical entity in the world. Because people become more dependent on machines, in the book specifically, they lack human emotions and do not know how to communicate with each other. Frighteningly, people in this society also no longer read. For instance, the book illustrates, “It was a thick book and looked very old. The binding had been eaten by mice; some of its pages were loose and crumpled.” ( Brave New World. 131). This quote expresses that books were set there for a long time and nobody read them. Therefore, the main character John tries to awaken people mentally after he notices all these symbols and problems with his society. Individualism is ceasing to exist from the embryos to no communication to no longer obtaining knowledge. Instead of a “brave, new world”, it is a scary new world.

Generally speaking, the book suggests that people should not forget their original thoughts or ideas, they should insist on what they believe and what they think. Even though technology has improved in our world today, there is nothing better than absorbing knowledge with and communicating to other humans. In addition, this novel is the perfect example of how to learn about a social phenomenon that could exist now in smaller ways and the fears of the past.