The Cabin | Teen Ink

The Cabin

Author's note:

This piece has a very mysterious feel to it. 

It’s 1:30pm on a Thursday afternoon, 4 friends are getting ready to go on a weekend getaway to a cabin to one of the most popular lake in the state, Blue Lagoon.  These are 4 people you would never believe are friends as they each have their own quirks and life styles. Mel, the popular blonde-haired, blue eyed girl that everyone falls in love with as soon as she walks through the door; she’s sitting up against the passenger side door of Audrey’s white Chevy Equinox. Audrey is busy walking to and from her friends cars making sure that all the bags are all secured in her trunk, she’s  playing a game of tetris as she tries to find a spot for the last of the bags. 

“Sofia, what did you pack in this bag? Bricks?” Audrey cries out as she slams down the bag. 

“Well if we are going to be gone tonight, friday, saturday, AND sunday I have to pack enough clothes for those days plus any emergency outfit changes that might need to happen. A girl has to have options.” Sofia says as she walks over and stands by Mel. 

“Where did Izzy go?” Audrey says as she closes the door to the trunk.

“Don’t worry the master navigator is here” A voice calls out from the front steps of Audrey’s house, a book in hand. 

“Of course you were reading before a vacation, do you ever put down those books?” Mel comments. “I call shotgun!” she shouts as she gets in the front passenger seat. 

Izzy and Sofia climb into the backseat as Audrey climbs into the driver seat of the car.
“Who wants aux?” Audrey asks.

“I do!” Mel and Sofia yell. 

“You got aux last time and I’m riding shotgun, I get aux.” Mel argues as she grabs the aux cord. 

“Ugh fine, just make sure you don’t play any of that weird stuff.” Sofia says as she relaxes into her seat. 

“Ok kids, lets get this show on the road.” Audrey says as she puts the car in reverse and backs out of the driveway. 

They spend the next hour and a half laughing, singing, and gossiping about the most recent drama going on in their lives. As they pull into the driveway that’s covered by green, tall, volumounus pine trees on both sides of the driveway. The driveways twists and turns and as the cabin comes into view your attention quickly goes from the cabin to the shimmering blue lake that sits behind the glamorous wooden cabin. 

“That’s the cabin?!” Mel yells out.

“I told you I got the best of the best, and for the price of it, it better be good.” Izzy says from the backseat. 

As they pull up to the two door garage,  the 4 girls eagerly  get out of the car and carefully grab their bags from the trunk and run up to the poarch that wraps around the enitre house. As Audrey unlocks the door the 3 impatient girls behind her push their way into the cabin.

“Oh my, this cabin is breathtaking!” The girls say as they put all their bags on the ground. 

As the sun sets it seems that everything gets an eerie feeling, the trees are almost bending in half from the wind, the water from the lake smashes against the shore aggressively. The only light that is seen is the glow from the cabin. As the girls are all downstairs in the living room watching movies and gossiping, they hear a loud crash from upstairs.

“You guys heard that right?” Audrey asks the other girls.

“Umm yeah, what the heck is that.” Mel responds. 

“Someone should go up there and check it out.” Izzy says. 

“Yeah, Audrey go check it out.” Sofia says as she curls up in her blanket. 

“Why me?” Audrey cries out.

“Because you are the mom of the group, you got this.” Everyone collectively says.

“Fine, but you better not try and pull any pranks on me.” Audrey says as she stand ups and starts slowly walking up the stairs;  her hands shaky out of fear. When she gets upstairs she slowly walks to the light switch. When she switches the light on, it’s still pitch black, she tries the switch a couple more times; nothing. 

“Great, power doesn’t work up here.” She whispers to herself. She pulls out her phone and starts walking to each room to make sure nothing is out of the ordinary. As she closes the door to the last room she checked she goes back downstairs. 

“Any weird visitors up there?” Mel shouts from downstairs

Audrey is startled by Mels voice, she jumps just a little as she closes the last door that she searchd. She makes her way back downstairs.

“You would never believe what was up there.” Audrey cuts off her sentence as the view of the living room come into view. There is no longer 3 girls sitting in the living room. Confused, Audrey finishes coming down the stairs and starts looking for her friends.
“Guys come out this isn’t funny!” She says as she looks around the whole kitchen. 

“Ok it’s been ten minuets you can come out now, you guys really got me haha.”

Except no one comes out. There are no sounds. No movements. No nothing. Silence fills the air until she hears a loud crash that comes from outside. She hesitates to go outside, hoping it is just her friends making that noise. She quickly pulls the door open and peaks her head out to see what would have made that noise. She slowly walks up to her car and searches around the perimeter of the cabin. She doesn’t find anyone. As she walks back into the house she walks into the kitchen and grabs a glass of water; as she turns around she notices that everyones bags are gone.
“What the heck is going on, am I going crazy” She whispers to yourself. Tiredly she walks over to the couch hoping that once moring comes things will start to make sense. 

As the morning comes, the sun wakes Audrey. She jolts awake and searches her surroundings, no one is here. Audrey picks up her phone and tries to call her friends. After she was sent to voicemail from all three calls, she calls her mom panicking.
“Mom they disappeared. They aren’t here. The car is still here, but they aren’t here. I don’t know where they are. What do I do?!” She says with a shaky voice.
“Honey, are you at that cabin again?” Her mom says.

“What do you mean? This is my first time here.” Audrey says confused. 

“No it’s not honey, you’ve been there multiple times. Every since they died you-” 

Audrey cuts off her mom, “What do you mean died, mom you aren’t making sense.” 

“ Four years ago; you, Mel, Izzy, and Sofia were all in a car crash when you guys were on they way back from that cabin. You were driving and someone lost control on the road and hit you guys. You were the only one that survived honey. You were traumatized from the accident, you thought you were the one that killed your friends. You blammed yourself for months and were never able to forgive yourself. Three months after the accident I put you into therapy to see if that would help you get some peace about the situation. I thought it was working, you seemed happy again and were able to talk about them without getting sad. But, every year on the same weekend you drive up there by yourself and spend the weekend there by yourself. At first I thought it was a way of coping to get over the accident, but then after the first night you called me terrified saying that your friends disappeared. Going back to that cabin brings back those memories and it makes you think Mel, Izzy, and Sofia are still here with you. I try to convince you to stay home, but you always insist that you go and tell me that you can handle it. But every morning after the first night I get the same call from you. Come home Audrey.”

A flood of memories comes into Audrey’s mind, suddenly she remembers all the times she has gone up to this cabin by herself, remembers all the times she called her mom, remembers the accident. Tears start coming out of her eyes, after she says goodbye to her mom she packs up her stuff, and gets in the car. She drives back in silence, no music, no singing, no talking, no gossiping. Once she gets back to her house, her mom is standing in the driveway waiting for her to pull in. As soon as she walks up to her mom, her mom wraps her arms around her.
She says, “It’s ok honey. Let's go inside, I made you your favorite lunch.”