Unknown trails | Teen Ink

Unknown trails

By keeeeee, Santa Ana, California
keeeeee, Santa Ana, California

Author's note:

Am always going try hard than the last time I submit.  

The scene

Case 40 or named greens massacre is set in green titans and the year is 2010. The drive there, the longest drive in my life. When I got closer to the scene, the red and blue light grew with every second, the sound of the police siren and the cry of parents got louder. I went to the scene, saw the most grotesque place I had ever seen, almost vomiting just seeing it in the window. I am wondering how my partner's name is Sam, but he is ok with this and he just got into the investigating scene. He walks up to me.

“ The scene is quite a mess,” he says “ The victims are 6 females and males, the missing person is Nowhere to be seen . "Don't you think it is kind of weird that there is one missing person?”? 

“So it is not like they are murderers and we can say to the family the body is lost in the forest.”I say while moving the fire pit for more clues. The fire is raging with beautifully reds and calm oranges. 

He grabbed my shoulder “ aren’t you going to check the house” before I could respond he said “ I just found out the suspect is an older person and still somewhere” he looked more distracted than me and more weathered. 

I reply “ I can’t even get in there, also you say the suspect is still here.” he couldn't hear me before he walk way

So now I am off to my thoughts, so I wander to the entrance of the house. The door gleamed red like from the siren. The dark oke wood cover is stained with red and the handle covers bloody hand prints. The glass scatters all around the ground. While  getting ready to see the scene up close. from 12 years of work I never got so scared from seeing a crime scene even though I'm Writing this frantically. When I opened the door to the scene the odor was pungent. Then a yell came from back, So i went to see what happened. Some mother yelling to see her daughter  keeps yelling. 

“What happen where is my daughter” and “ why you won't let me see her”

Then her voice started slowly breaking through the cries of the others. Then I take hold of the shrieking mob. It is like the sound of the ocean is always constant, never unending, then sometimes you hear squawking of seagulls. ?

She call out me “detective please tell anything about my daughter,” 

I move back”what is your daughter name “

“Carmen- c-a-r-m-e-n”

“Ok i’ll be back and make sure your kid is save” 

I quickly ran to Sam “what were kids names!”

“Well, there is karla car–”

“yah what happen to her”

“We don’t know she one that is missing, but we got constraint on the killer not on deaths anyway why you care there is still a mass murderer out there”

“Because —- like you said is init kind of weird if somebody missing”

“Ok then “

I said “can you check cabin for me”

“Ok, but check the back of entrance”

I went back to the mob and said “your kids are injured you will not see now because gruesome scene”

I felt a hand on my back and speak out “ why did you say that”

“ because, i don’t know I guessed felt they need some confirmation”

I look back of me see a cop with deep eyes and frizzle hair and she say “ but what we going to say public never mine man, so what did you find out about the scene”

“Nothing at all”

“Then go at boy”

I say “what is your name madam”

“ my Clarisa is but my friends call clary perry”

“Ok clary I hope to see you soon”

I went to check the back entrance. The door seems to be blocked by pieces of wood and they left the ax right next to it. The footsteps are fresh, so I got to follow the trail. It led me to the bathroom but before I got in Sam stopped me and said. 

“Hey I checked the house and it's a disgusting site in’t. So here is the catch all stabbed to death and they seem they killed in there sleep” he start moving towards back of his car “so what did you find out in the back”

“It seem like murder was planned they block the door”

“This adds more contecess murder “He pulled out a gun, flash light, and other stuff. 

I say “ also found some footprint ”

“ why we here then” 

“because getting something defend myself”

So we both ran to the bathroom and their window opened.  

Sam say “ I guess they are try make their trace difficult to track” 

I moved back out of the door and say “ I can go exit of window and you can stay back”

He gave beaten to me and said “take this just in case of murder is still there”

I went to the back of the bathroom and saw footprints leading to the forest so I followed them. The prints they call out to me like they water on a hot summer day but before i do anything i say “come back here”

Sam quickly running to me “ what is it”

“Found some more prints”

Sam say “i stay here and you go to get some people to make a search crew”

“Ok”

So I ran to front and speak to clary and said “ I need your help”

“For what”

“Am making a search crew for the murderer and the lost kid”

Then got to the mob of parents and ask for mother of carman and told her “ what is the description of your kid madam”

“ She has small, curly long hair, Big eyes, and always has a big smile.”

“Ok anything else madam” 

“ oh yeah she got a pick backpack “

I said  “Ok thank you so much”

I went back to clary to tell her the missing kid description 

She reply “then what is the murderer looks”

“There is none at all”

“Ok so we are looking for a young gal”

I say “ and also a murderer”

After gathering a search team, we headed into the dense forest, following the footprints. The trees were tall, and the branches hung low. It was dark and eerie, and I couldn't shake off the feeling that we were being watched.

As we walked, we saw more footprints, and it became evident that the killer was heading towards a cabin deep in the forest. The cabin was old and abandoned, and it was clear that no one had lived there for years.

As we approached the cabin, we heard a faint sound coming from inside. We quietly approached the door and listened. We could hear muffled voices and movement coming from inside. Sam signaled me to stay quiet as he slowly opened the door.

We entered the cabin, and it was dark, except for a dim light that was coming from a room in the back. We could hear the sound of a struggle, and Sam gestured for me to take the left, and he took the right.

As I made my way to the back room, I saw a figure standing in front of me. I couldn't make out who it was, but it was clear that the person was trying to escape. I chased the figure, and as I got closer, I realized it was a woman. She was trying to get away, but I caught up to her and grabbed her arm.

"Stop! Who are you?" I demanded.

She struggled to break free but couldn't. I tightened my grip on her arm, and she screamed in pain.

"Let me go! I didn't do anything!" she cried.

Sam appeared behind me, and we both looked at each other in shock. It was the missing person, Karla.

"Karla, it's okay. We're not going to hurt you," Sam said gently.

She looked up at us with tear-filled eyes, and we could see that she was terrified. She told us that she had been kidnapped and held captive in the cabin by the killer. She had managed to escape when he left to get supplies, and she had been running for her life in the forest until she stumbled upon us.

We immediately radioed for backup and an ambulance for Karla. As we waited for them to arrive, we searched the cabin for any clues. We found a diary with a name written on the front cover: Jack 

Sam look at me and say“ Jack, that is the name of the suspect that we are looking for”

We knew that we were on the track of finding the murder. We have to catch Jack before he gets away. The book had entries describing his twisted mind and his plans for his victims. It was chilling to read and made us even more determined to bring him to justice. As we were about leave the cabin we hear  from the radio that they found footprints to old camp site 

When we got there we could see that the search team had found Jack hiding in the bushes. He had a gun, and he was ready to fight.

We took cover and ordered him to drop his weapon, but he refused. He started firing at us, and we fired back. The sound of gunshots filled the air, and we could hear screams coming from the search team.

In the chaos, I saw Derkson running towards the forest. I chased after him, and we ran deeper into the forest. We were both out of breath, but we kept running until we came to a cliff. Derkson had nowhere to go, and he knew it.

He turned to face me, and I could see the madness in his eyes. He raised his gun, and I knew that he was going to kill me. I braced myself for the impact, but it never came.

Sam had arrived just in time and tackled Jack, sending both to ground. After hours of searching, the search crew found the missing girl, Karla, hiding in a nearby cabin. She was traumatized and had witnessed the murder of her friends. With her description, the police were able to catch the murderer, who turned out to be one of the victim's parents.

The trial was intense, with emotional testimonies from the families of the victims and the survivors. The killer was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

As for Karla and the other survivors, they received counseling and support to help them cope with the trauma they had experienced. It was a tragic event that shook the small town of Green Titans to its core, but justice was served and the community slowly began to heal.

As for me and Sam, we were commended for our efforts in solving the case. It was a tough one, but we were glad to have been able to bring closure to the families affected by the Greens Massacre. We went on to solve many more cases together, but this one stayed with us for a long time.