The Camp | Teen Ink

The Camp

October 1, 2018
By jkoopman0304, Wabasha, Minnesota
More by this author
jkoopman0304, Wabasha, Minnesota
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"YES! I am so ecstatic!" said Elizabeth.
" I just got my acceptance letter for the "Camp for English Prodigies" in Lakeville." 
" All the way in Lakeville they must love you," her mom remarked.

    "Elizabeth! What time is it?" Elizabeth's mom, Martha, asked.    
"OH SHOOT!" Elizabeth completely forgot about her SAT prep. It's already 9:05.
"Sorry, mom, I was reading about the camp I got accepted to."
"You know, Lizzy, I've never heard about this camp in my whole life," Martha said.
" That's just because you're old." Elizabeth snickered.
"Okay...just be careful." Martha declared. What Elizabeth didn't know is that her mom was on to something.
                                                     

Elizabeth packed her bags and skipped happily to the bus stop when she was stopped by her parents.
"Bye, Lizzy, be safe and call us every night!" her parents mentioned. 
"I'll be fine, trust me!" Elizabeth replied. 
"Don't forget to call! We'll miss your smiling face," her dad said.
"I will, I promise," Elizabeth replied.
The bus came and Elizabeth hopped on and was sent on her way. When she boarded the bus she found the strangest thing... Everyone was going to the prodigy camp. There were about 35 people aging from 14 to 19. They were all different races and genders. She found a seat by a South American girl around 15 years of age.
"Hey, I'm Elizabeth. What's your name?"
"Hello, my name is Camilla, glad I met someone." Camilla was the shortest girl Elizabeth has ever met. She had short curly black hair and the sweetest smile.
For the rest of the bus ride, Camilla and Elizabeth talked to each other about all sorts of things. The main thing was why they wanted to go to this camp.
"I've always been a pretty good English student," Camilla stated.
"I have always been an absolute genius." A girl from behind them boasted.
"Who are you?" Camilla asked.
"I'm Becky, I'm surprised you don't already know who I am."  Becky was a tall girl with long blonde hair that lay right beneath her lower back. 
" Sorry, but I really don't know who anyone is," Elizabeth replied.
" Um, guys have you ever been to Lakeville?" Camilla shyly asked.
"Yeah", Both Elizabeth and Becky hesitantly remarked.
"Yeah, so have I and I am pretty sure this isn't the right way," Camilla stated. For the rest of the bus ride, all three girls silently stared out the bus window waiting for it to stop. At last, the bus came to a sudden stop. Elizabeth looked outside to see what was supposed to be a beautiful view, but instead, she saw a murky swamp and a busted old cabin in the woods.
"Um, excuse me Bus-driver, but I think you have the wrong location," Camilla quietly asked, confused by the situation. Almost half of the kids piped up and started to ask questions as well. Everyone was confused, but the bus driver said nothing. Instead, a tall woman with wrinkly skin and black hair tied up in a tight bun stood up with a microphone and began to talk.
"Hello, my name is Clara and welcome to the "Camp for English prodigies," she said quite calm.
A few kids started saying "hey this isn't camp this is a rundown swap," but Clara kept completely still. There was a pause.
Shortly after a kid squealed from the crowd "EW! My dog's house is nicer than this."  She ignored the disruption once again. She quickly played a video. The video simply told them to grab their bags and exit the bus. So, as they were told, the kids on the bus grabbed their belongings and exited the bus. Then, they went into the shabby cabin. 
" EW! My dog's house is nicer than this." someone from the crowd.   "In an eerie voice, Clara said, "Set down your things and get comfortable you all are going to be here for a while. Then she left without a peep. Everyone in the time of pure awkwardness was just talking and writing (mostly in their journals) about this weird happening, trying to figure out what the heck was going on. A guy walked in without a sound. In fact, no one really noticed his strange figure in the doorway. By the time they did notice that he was there, it was too late. The strange man took out a button on a panel and pressed it. Suddenly, this green gas oozed out of the sprinkler system, and everyone passed out unconscious. It happened very slowly and painfully. Elizabeth stood there gasping for air.
Finally, Elizabeth woke up drowsy, and in pain. She waited for her eyes to adjust, and when they did she noticed she and everyone else in the camp were chained to a wall in a strange building different than the cabin. It was tall, dark, and gray with few windows. All of their stuff was gone. She went to pull out her phone and call for help, but it was gone too. She instantly went into a panic attack. She had been kidnapped with no way to escape. Her mom was right. There was no camp.     
                                                         
   Elizabeth woke up and started screaming.
"HELP! HELP! I've been kidnapped! Help me!
Then she was startled by a sudden but quiet voice. It was Camilla. She was really calm and collected.
She tried comforting Elizabeth by saying things like, " save your voice you never know what we'll be put through, just stay calm and let's find a way out of this hell hole."
They instantly started looking and found an air vent and tried going towards it, but a sudden movement terrified them and sent the girls flying in the air back to their original position. Then the strange figure stepped forward telling them the instructions to get out. He told them, " If you want to get out of here, you have to listen to me and me only, and if you don't obey me there will be consequences." So Camilla and Elizabeth crept into the dark crawl space.

 Elizabeth and Camilla listened to his rules and went into a tiny crawl space in the floor. They turned around wondering why there was hardly any noise. It turns out it was just them two. He kept the others behind. They kept down the tunnel and met up with a lock and combination dial. With only a single headlamp it was quite hard to see, but there were five numbers engraved into the wall of the crawl space. The numbers were 36,54,81,73, and 27.
 "What is this?" Camilla asked 
" I don't know, I'm here for English, not math," Elizabeth replied.
They had to figure out the odd one out. Camilla noticed all of them add up to nine except for 73. They tried every possible combination with those numbers, and with the last try got in. It was a strange room with a single small window and their bags. They grabbed them and broke the window to escape, but with no cell service, they were stranded. How will they get home? How will the others be saved?



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.