The Moment You Entered | Teen Ink

The Moment You Entered

By lkrut, Hanover, Maryland
lkrut, Hanover, Maryland

Author's note:

I'm from a high school in Maryland. This story was an assignment for my creative writing class. It was to make a novella about anything and did some brainstorming and went deep into learning about different genres and how to be more descriptive. I'm a huge person into fantasy storytelling and lots of tragic endings or obstacles or very hard hitting stories. When reading fantasy I think tragic endings and big turns are needed because I think it makes it more realistic and that not everything has to have a good ending. I've always read my favorite stories by Mary Downing Hahn and have been interested in Stephen King.

Gwenseld

“Once upon a time, there was this kingdom. A kingdom where all creatures and magical beings could live.” 

“How do you go there?” I asked.

My mother smiled at me while tucking me in. “A beautiful portal will open up to every chosen boy or girl,” she said. 

As my mom continued to read, I’d listen to the soft sound of her voice sounding like an angel singing. My father was right beside her, both being there for me as they helped me sleep. The soft purple blanket with white stars filled me with warmth. A perfect night. The colorful lights went all through the room, shining bright as my mother read. 

“The kingdom was called Slayra, there were ogres, dragons, wolves, pixies, and even fairies.”

My eyes lit up the moment my mother said fairies. “Fairies? What are they like?” I asked eagerly.

My mother gave me a soft smile while putting the book back on the wooden shelf by the wall. Coming closer to me and so did my father she said, “They are beautiful, magical creatures who are connected to elements. Fire, water, air, and earth. But…they can be very dangerous. Dark fairies can turn the most beautiful and captivating things into the dullest and vile things ever.”

Hearing those words my face grew pale. My mother and father walk out of the room after planting a soft kiss on my forehead. They close the door as they leave and I close my eyes. 

Minutes pass by and I hear the most uneasy screams. Horror to my face, I ran out of my room finding my sister with a panicked look on her face.

I started hearing my father scream my name. ”Gwenseld…Gwenseld…Gwenseld…”

“Huh? Where am I?” I open my eyes and see everyone's faces turned to me and my teacher looking upset with me. 

“Gwenseld this is the last time I’m saying your name. Sit up.” Mrs. Higgens said. 

“It’s Gwen.”

I started sitting up and realizing it was all just a dream. I let out a sigh. It’s just the last day of school I can almost leave and won’t have to deal with Mrs. Higgens. 

“I don’t care. Sit up and stop falling asleep,” she says angrily. 

“Well if you weren’t so bored I wouldn’t be falling asleep in class,” I mumbled.

The whole class began to say “Oooh.” and Mrs. Higgens looked very Uhm how should I say this? Red as a tomato. I guess someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. 

“It is the last day Ms. Merlis, I don’t need your commentary on how to teach the class.” Ms. Higgens said to me. 

“Then let me sleep, I don’t need to be awake for your boring class. It’s the last day so it doesn’t matter. What are you going to do? Send me to the office?” I smirked with my sarcasm escaping my lips. 

And in fact, she did send me down to the office. Sitting on the black leather seats and hearing the slow typing coming from the desk. Ms. Booker looking at me with a frown or maybe that's just how she always looks. I don’t know but she's been here for ages. 

The principal steps out of his office and looks at me. This isn’t my first time being called down to the office. I already know what's gonna happen, I’ll go into his office, sit there, listen to his lecture, and then be told I’m better than this and that I’m a good student. He’ll call my sister and then I’ll be lectured by her too.

“Come in Gwen.” Principal Wilson said.

Here we go. I walk into his office, seeing all the familiar pictures, trophies, and desks that he decorates. The lovely chair I sit in every week is wooden with a cushion on the front and back. The colors of brown and red spread all around the room trying to complement each other. 

I sit in the chair while Principal Wilson closes the door behind him going to his seat. Leaving out a small sigh. 

“So I heard you were yelling at Mrs. Higgens.”

“What? I was not yelling at Mrs. Higgens!” I said.

“That's what she told me.” He said in a confusing tone.

“I was talking back. And even if I did yell at her it is the last day of school it should not matter.” I said.

“Look Gwen, I know losing your parents at a young age has been hard on you but it shouldn’t affect the way you act. I have something for you.” 

What the heck? He has no right to talk about that. I hate this school and this whole system. He thinks he knows me well, he's wrong. 

Principal Wilson turns around to his cabinets and goes through his files. He brings out a file with my name on it. Confused as I could ever be he opens it and pulls a bunch of brochures out. He hands them to me. They all list a bunch of different stuff like delinquents getting help or therapy.

“What is this?” I blurted out.

Principal Wilson says, “I just think some of these programs could be helpful for you.”

“You think there's something wrong with me!?” I shouted.

“No Gwen I don’t think there's something wrong with you I just think you need someone to talk to,” he says.

I began ripping up the brochures because I was so furious. He overstepped a line he wasn’t invited to cross. I immediately got up to leave but as soon as I opened the door I saw my sister. Of course, great timing. I decided to run past her because I didn’t want to hear this conversation again. 

I ran to her car and waited there for ten minutes. I saw her walking out of the school building and I saw her holding the brochures.

The car beeps and I get seated inside. She gets in the car and I say, “Hey Addy.” 

“Don’t try to act like everything is fine. It was the last day of school you couldn’t have held out could you?” she says irritated. 

Adeline Merlis, my sister. She used to be rebellious until our parents just disappeared. Addy thinks they just didn’t want us anymore but I know that something happened and no one seems to care, I just assumed they were dead. 

“Look, I’m not gonna force therapy on you but I think you can at least give it a try,” she says. 

I don’t even wanna respond to her. I just kept looking out the window, watching everything go by quickly as Addy drove. The sky and the trees merge together like a painting. The serene view of birds flying together in the blue clear sky as the trees sway together and feeling the wind brush against my face brings me a peaceful feeling. But it slowly died when we arrived at the dreadful drive away from a place I should call home. 

Home sweet home, I guess. It was a white house, small, with a gray roof, and a dark red door. We had a nice yard with lots of grass, flowers, and one big tree with a handmade swing. Addy made it for me when I was eight years old. Addy did everything she could for me but after our parents disappeared we had to move, we couldn’t afford our old home. I didn’t mind what house we lived in but we had to sell a lot of things. After losing so many things that had deep meanings behind them, home didn’t feel like home anymore. 

I get out of the car, shut the door, and hear it slam. I turn around to see Addy not getting out. She rolls down the window. 

She says, “Gwen, go start cooking dinner. I’m going to go over to Mrs. Alice’s place. She called me earlier today asking for help, but her car is making noises again. I’ll see you tonight.”

I nodded and waved as she backed up the car and drove away.  I made my way inside and looked up at the clouds looking like it was going to rain later today. With my hand on the doorknob, I put in the key and turn it, and make my way inside. 

I walked to the kitchen and decided to make spaghetti. I took out a box of spaghetti noodles and started filling up the pot with water. I let the water sit, waiting for it to boil so I can put in the noodles. 

Seconds later the whole house shakes and I fall to the ground. Glass plates and cups fall and shatter. I decided to stay on the ground for a bit more in case anything happens. Minutes passed and I decided to stand up, the sound echoed throughout the whole entire house shaking it and wrecking almost everything. The dining table, the plates, the tv, the couch, everything all just broke and moved around causing lots of mess. 

As I’m cleaning up trying to take in whatever just happened I hear a sound coming from my room. It sounds so unusual. I slowly made my way up the stairs, the sound growing louder. I make it to my door, a blue and purple light glowing from the bottom. My heart is racing and pumping so much that I feel it in my throat. I take a deep breath, my hand on the doorknob, I slowly twist it, and push forward. 

Oh my god.

I’m standing in shock, not knowing what to do but it’s a big circled portal just swishing around like a wave in the middle of my room. I move closer to it and put my hand through it, but I don’t feel anything, it’s just air. It hasn’t gone away. But I slowly remember the stories my mother and father told me and read to me. Could this be the portal? I’ve decided that I’m gonna walk through it. 

I hear Addy’s car pulling up to the driveway. If I’m going to do this I should do it now before she stops me.

I walk up closer to the portal. I close my eyes, my hand through, and then my other hand. Small steps forward till I’m through and as soon as I’m inside, I open my eyes. It feels like I’m flying. It’s so airy and just colorful. Almost like a vibrant black hole. It continues to spin in a circle till I see an end of white light. I start screaming and falling faster and faster. I’m getting closer until I fall through and land on the grass. I fix myself up and open my eyes. I look around in disbelief.

‘Where am I?” I say. 

I see the beautiful mountains reaching till they disappear into the clouds. The small almost ant-like town from afar. My eyes shifted to the large white castle with the yellow flags waving at the top. The most pristine and peaceful waterfall connected to the lake sent soft sweet sounds whispering in my ear. I started laying in the most beautiful vibrant green grass feeling the most amazing brush against my skin as it sways with the wind. 

Such an exhilarating feeling, but all of a sudden the feeling of something bubbly rises inside me. Light spreads around me and makes me twirl around. It lifted me up in the air and I began to freak out. I close my eyes, scared of what's about to happen. Light bursts and shoots out to the sky letting me down slowly back onto the grass. 

I open my eyes and don’t see anything different until looking down at my legs and feet, I was wearing new clothes. They were green pants, earthy looking, and white slippers with lace covering the slippers. I didn’t think much of it until I lay down and my back stung. I got up and tried to see if I lay on a rock but there was nothing so I tried to lie down again but it just hurt again. I got up and tried to look at my back and I saw the most beautiful but shocking thing ever.

“I HAVE WINGS?!” I shouted.

Being in shock, I’m confused about how I’ve become a fairy. I decided I’m going to try and find some help or answers. I start walking down the grassy mountain to the small town I saw nearby. I decided to start making my way down. It feels like a dream, seeing all the amazing things. The colorful birds fly and sing in symphonies. 

I make my way down to the town and see all the buildings and houses. Beautifully made. The warm green grass is shared with flowers with so many exhilarating vibrant colors. The wind felt so light against my wings. There was this fountain with so many exteriors and detailing, the marble floor being covered with coins and the birds crafted around the sides. This town was so exciting. 

I saw a restaurant called the treehouse. I decided to go there. There was a sign of a tree, the building was tan and brown with a blue roof. I walk in and I see every creature I’ve been taught to know was a myth. Fairies, ogres, pixies, werewolves, dragons, and so many more. They were all so beautiful, the colors radiating from them all complimented each other. 

As I’m staring like a complete weirdo, some fairies waved to me to come over. They all had friendly faces but at the same time, they looked confused. I walk over to them, overthinking what I should say. Do I speak first? I just noticed I’ve been standing in front of them for so long without saying anything.

“Hello.” says a boy with red and orange ombre wings and fiery hair.

I respond with, “Hey.”

“Who are you?” says a girl with the snarkiest attitude ever. 

“I’m Gwen.”

“I’m Flame, this is Stone, Moon, and Misha.” 

They all waved at me, besides Misha. She keeps looking at me in a disgusting way.

“I’ve never seen you around, it’s a small town everyone knows everyone,” says Flame. 

“Oh, well you see it’s a long story. I don’t know why I’m here actually.” I said. 

“Well it's getting dark, do you need a place to stay?” said Flame.

“Uhm yeah probably,” I said.

“Alright, you can follow me to my place,” says Flame.

I don’t know if I should trust Flame. They all look nice but Misha is really giving me that stink eye. 

I start following Flame, Misha, and Moon behind us. It’s almost building a wall like some sort of protection. I don’t know what it is but I obviously do not like it. 

We walk down this very dark and mystical path, fireflies flying around in the air as they dance with the sky. The sound of our feet walking against the stoned floor synced with every step taken. We start arriving at these big gates that are a glittery white color. Very fancy looking as well. The gates suddenly open and we walk through. My eyes shift up and my eyes couldn’t be more blessed by the sight. Standing in front of the castle I just saw from the grassy mountain. 

“I’m kind of a prince, but don’t treat me differently,” says Flame.

“Got it,” I say. 

Flame flashes a warm smile. The rest look at me like they want me dead. Except for Moon, she always has a friendly face.

We walked up the steps to the castle.

“Welcome to Slayra Gwen,” says Stone. 

“Kingdom of Slayra.” says Misha. 

The doors open like one of those movie scenes when you open a walk-in closet and you’re just mesmerized by the clothes but this is much better than that. It was white and gold, filled with the most beautiful glass shining perfectly. Bookshelves all across the room. The marble floor is a gorgeous brown.

“Why do you look so weird?” Misha says with some attitude.

“I don’t look weird, I'm just shocked,” I say.

“Where are you from? Have you not seen a castle?” Moon says with a suspicious look.

“Well, I usually live on my own.”

I had to lie or they’d have their suspicions and find out who I am.

Stone moves towards me, “Follow me, Gwen, I want to show you something.”

I follow Stone hearing the feet making an echoing sound as we walk away making noise with the marble floor. Leading me down the most beautiful hallway, we stopped at a double-door room. It was a round and fancy door. Brown and lots of gold detailing. Stone opens the door to a bedroom. The bedroom was filled with the most beautiful colors of green, white, and brown. The most earthy room I’ve ever seen. The colors explored the room with all different shades, textures, and plants. It felt like home. 

I began to walk around the room and explore. The moment I walked towards the bed, the tree bookshelf immediately caught my attention. And the one book that stood out to me was a dark black and purple book. The side writings on the spine showed “The Envious Of The Dark.”

` “That’s a dark fairy book. I don’t know why it’s in here.” says Flame confused.

I began to flip through the pages finding myself so intrigued. I suddenly find a page that looks just like Addy. I hope Addy is okay and isn’t worrying too much about me but knowing her she probably called the military force to look for me. I flip another page and all the goosebumps rise on my skin. My breathing slowly stops and silence fills the room. The others begin crowding around me looking at the page I was looking at. 

It was me. I have dark clothes, dark hair, full black eyes, and causing havoc in the town. It looks like I’m tying people up with earth powers. Beneath the photo it says, 

Slow and evil reigning the days

All dying 

Chaos corrupting the time

Running from the future

In the near 

Future is arriving

In the near

Calling for a savior

Exploit and run, run run run

I read the poem over and over again still not understanding if it was telling me a message. I don’t know if it’s a warning or telling me something but I have a strong urge it has something to do with me. Like why did the portal open for me if it’s for chosen people?

“I think you’re a dark fairy Gwen,” said Stone.

“That’s impossible, if she was a dark fairy she would be transformed into one and act like one,” says Moon.

“Looking at the photo and the poem it’s definitely saying something about the future,” Misha commented.

“I don’t know, maybe it’s just a look-alike of Gwen and we shouldn’t worry.” Flame added. 

“I think I’m going to destroy the Kingdom and town of Slayra,” I said with panic in my voice.

I began to circle the first letter of each sentence in the writing. It spelled out sacrifice. 

“Sacrifice. I can stop the chaos caused by me in the future by sacrificing myself. The moment I came to your world I ruined everything.” I explained.

They all looked confused.

“I’m not originally from a Kingdom, I’m from Earth, or the human world if that’s what you call it here,” I admitted. 

Shock spread through their expressions, even Misha was speechless.

“Listen, I know it’s a lot to take in, but right now we don’t have the time for reactions. I will sleep in here tonight and tomorrow morning we will do the sacrifice.” I said confidently.

“I don’t think this is a good idea,” says Misha with a worried look on her face.

“I agree with Misha, we can find other ways to stop you from causing this,” says Stone.

“We don’t have any time,” I say. “Go to bed guys. We need to get this over with who knows what might happen next.”

I started shoving them out of the room even though they tried to speak to me and talk me out of sacrificing myself but I have to do it. I can’t destroy a world I haven’t even lived in when it belongs to others.

I cuddle myself into bed, under the blanket, laying down and looking at the ceiling. Scared about tomorrow. Scared about the future coming. The moment I entered this world, everything changed. 

Morning came as I woke up seeing the darkness crowding. But then I just realized I was tied up. Thinking it was a nightmare, I was wrong. I could not move or see. I began to freak out. I scream out for help but nothing. Later on whatever was on my head had been removed and I saw Stone standing in front of me. A tall, stone-winged, gray boy. 

“Haha funny joke Stone, now let me go,” I say.

“Joke? Oh no Gwenseld Merlis, this is not a joke.” He says with a smirk on his face.

“How did you know my name?” I say with a scared tone.

“Well, your parents talked about you a lot.” He said.

“How’d you know my parents?” I panicked.

“Well, let's just say your name was their last word.” He said as the words drifted repeatedly through my ears.

“What do you mean by that?” I demanded.

“I think you know but let’s not go into more detail about that. Do you want to sacrifice yourself? Not gonna happen.”

“Why not?” I looked at his smug face as I asked.

“Well you see I want this world to be destroyed, I hate it here. And I knew you were the chosen one the moment I saw you.” 

“What? How?” I began to shake.

“I planted the dark fairy book there on purpose. I want you to become evil.” He insisted. 

“I will never become evil.” 

“It’s your destiny. You don’t think you have a choice, do you? Do you think you have the power to control your fate? You’re chosen to destroy the world. And that’s what you’re going to do.” He began to laugh maniacally. 

I stayed quiet not knowing what to say, hearing about my destiny, Stone betraying me, and finding out he did something to my parents. It’s too much.  

Stone begins to mix a bunch of chemicals together. He puts it in a needle. It’s a black color chemical. Stone turns around and looks at me.

“This will only be a small pinch.” He says smiling.

I tried to move away or give him a hard time inserting the needle but he did it. Stone slowly presses down inserting the chemicals into my body. 

“This will jump-start your dark fairy genes so you can become evil. It should be quick too.”

I start shaking and feeling this power of darkness take over my body and mind. It’s like I’m losing myself. Stone walks up to me and unties me. My powers start losing control like I’m gone. As soon as Stone fully untied me I ran out and made it to town.

I began to tie people using trees and branches. I used the ground to sink everything. The houses, the restaurants, the people, and the beautiful fountain I first saw. I destroyed everything. My mind is being taken over.

I see Flame, Misha, and Moon. I start running towards them, about to hurt them but I stop. I start motioning to Moon to kill me. End all of this at once. She couldn’t do it. I looked at Flame and he refused. Looking at Misha, she was about to break down but she knew she had to do it for us and for the others. 

I tried to help Misha get an opening, but I couldn't. I kept trying to kill her even though I didn't want to. My body is in control and I can’t help it. Misha runs off and grabs a stake. I get into a position that she can throw at me.

Misha throws the stake and it impales me right in the heart. Flame, Misha, and Moon run over to me holding me in their arms and looking at me in my eyes. 

Misha

And there it was. Gwen’s final breath. She died with the feeling of not being able to control herself. Flame immediately called the guards and had taken Stone away. It wasn’t the same without Gwen. I might’ve known her for only a day but she was interesting, kind, and easily amazed. I guess that’s what the human world is like.

It might be time to try and revoke the 5000-year portal opening rule, Gwen might have some family or friends that are looking for her. 

“Flame. Moon.” I ran up to them.

“Hi Misha,” says Moon.

Moon is having a hard time looking at me but I know she doesn’t hate me. She just isn’t a big fan of creatures killing each other.

“Flame, I think we need to go to the human world and speak to Gwen’s possible family members and see what's happening with them,” I said sternly. 

“I agree I’ll talk to my parents as soon as we discuss the renovations for the town.” Flame said.

“What do we do with Gwen?” says Moon.

“I think it’s only fair that her family decides on that,” I say.

“I’ll be back in a moment and I'll speak to my parents,” says Flame as he walks off.

“Moon, I’m sorry but you know I had to, Gwen insisted. At least she died in our arms and not alone.” I sincerely say. 

The moon begins to sob and jumps on me for a hug. And me being weird I just make a stupid face not knowing how to comfort her. I gave her the most awkward pat on the back. 

“I know you didn’t want to. I’m glad it was you and not us,” says Moon.

Flame begins to walk back and says, “My mother gave me a portal pearl. We smash it on the ground, tell the portal where to go and we can easily speak to Gwen’s family.”

“Alright let’s get started,” I say.

Flame smashes the pearl and tells the portal to take us to Gwenseld Merlis’s house. We arrived in a messy bedroom that seemed to be Gwen's. 

“No wonder she was easily amazed in the castle,” I say, smiling a little.

I walk downstairs and see a not-too-old but not-too-young lady sitting on the couch looking sleepy and horrible. Looks like time in Slayra passes by slower than in this world. 

“Hello,” I say.

Startling the young lady she grabs a bat.

“Wait wait, do you know Gwenseld Merlis?” I say quickly.

“Yeah, I’m her big sister Addy, she’s been missing for two weeks.”

“Hi, I’m Misha. This is Flame and Moon.” I say. “I know where Gwen has been.”

Addy’s eyes widened and said “Where is she?! Is she here right now?!” 

My face saddened and Moon began to cry.

“I’m Flame, Prince of Slayra. Gwen came to our world. Recently she has sacrificed herself to save thousands of our people.”

Addy fell to the floor, not being able to speak or move. Tears ran down her cheeks.

“Gwen saved everybody. We will always be thankful to the Merlis family,” says Moon with a small tired smile on her face.

“Addy you will always be welcome to stay at Slayra. Gwen will be having her funeral there but if you wish to do it here we can,” says Flame. 

“Slayra…exists?”Addy says confused.

“Yeah, we’re all fairies. And so were your parents and sister. If you come with us you will become one as well.” I told her.

Addy stands up and says “Let’s go have her funeral.”

We all walked up to the portal with Addy, holding hands. 

Gwen will always be in our thoughts. Our Savior. Our calling. The moment she entered. 

We walked through the portal.

A new beginning. 

A new era.

No matter what Gwen continued to fight, and that's what we all will do.