Facility Trail | Teen Ink

Facility Trail

By JuneT021, St. Louis, Missouri
JuneT021, St. Louis, Missouri

As the sounds of cries for forgiveness echoed through the halls, a girl, around sixteen, sat in her isolated bedroom. She knew what it meant to be a green level, it meant you were intelligent, far more intelligent than any other color. She was sitting in her squeaky bed, her knees driven up to her chest while her arms kept them in place. She dared not make a single sound. Every few months the scientist creates an exam for each status to test their intelligence levels, if they notice that you have improved over the months, they upgrade you to a new level. Unfortunately for Emery, she had upgraded. She was brilliant for her age. 

“Green-level lockdown,” the speakers said. Emery looked up from the comfort of her own hug. The red flashing lights were turned on and a thunderous siren played. Her regular cell door was layered with a door made with the strongest metal, tungsten. She listened carefully, at first it was just the sounds of multiple people running by and the yelling of guards demanding them to stop where they were. Yet it seems that those who were trying to escape the facility could care less. 

“I need backup,” a deep voice said as he ran past Emery’s door. A few minutes later, the sound of multiple stomping feet ran by. After what seemed like twenty minutes, the alarms were cut off. A voice appeared on the intercom, “Green level secure.” Emery sighed, the escapists were captured. She watched as the metal doors folded away, only revealing four kids in cuffs in a single line, a guard in front and behind them with riffles in their hands. Emery got up from her bed and went over to the door to get a better look, “Oh no.” She saw the orange badges they had on their clothes. 

“Nothing to see here,” a guard said, waving his gun at Emery. She stepped back into a corner and stood there until they were no longer in view. 

Meanwhile, in the white level, there was a girl sitting in the cafeteria with a plate of hot slimy soup. Josefina played around with it using a plastic spoon that was given to her. She sat alone, watching everyone else sit with their new friends and making small talk about class, mostly about the description of what a cantaloupe supposed looks like. She sighed before placing her head down on the table, her ear against the cold white metal. Her loneliness was interrupted by a man in a lab coat, who sat next to her. 

“Number 2091, why so alone?”

Josefina raised her head, “I don’t think I can make friends.” The scientist looked around the cafeteria, he noticed how Josefina truly was the only one by herself. 

“I got a brilliant idea,” the scientist said before getting up and leaving Josefina with questions about what that possible idea could be. The scientist's name was Jaoi, he is a tall figure with round shape glasses, pale skin with defined cheekbones, and dark long hair that was up in a man bun. As he walked out the doors and went down the hallway with glass walls, he wrote down about Number 2091 situation. He reached a double door and placed his index finger on a small scanner that was on the right side of them. “Access granted,” the scanner said causing the doors to open, Jaoi walked in. The room was tiny,  it could probably only fit two people within it. When Jaoi walked in, he was greeted by the wall in front of him that had a rectangular golden box. He walked up to it and grabbed the handle, pulling it towards him.
“Scientist 391, I came here to give a report on a white status.” 

“Place report in the box, I’ll answer,” a woman responded, who was behind the wall. So, Joai placed the note down and closed the box, “There you go.” 

“If what I’m reading is true. Number 2091, will be terminated.”

“What?”

“You see,” she cleared her throat, “Number 2091 has no use to our goal if it can’t even socialize. It can harm the experiment which we are so close to figuring out.”

“But we can’t just terminate her,” Jaoi replied in a bit of a defensive tone. 

“Have you developed a bond with Number 2091?” Jaoi stayed quiet, “Well… did you?” 

“No. I have a plan. We can make her... I mean it… into a green status.”

The lady behind the wall scoffed, “Have you seen Number 2091 intelligence grow over the months? It has been the same since we got her out of red status. She is no longer improving and I doubt she could ever be a green status.” 

“Yes I know but my plan is... This might sound crazy but why don’t we give her a green status companion.” 

“Are you serious?”

“Yes! I’ve been researching lately and studies show that the people you spend time with can greatly affect your intelligence. If she... I mean if it, spends more time with a green status, they can improve and no longer be up for termination.” 

“This might jeopardize our experiment,” the lady sighed, “but I’m curious about how that will work.” 

“Well… It might not jeopardize anything, it’s just one person, number 2091.” 

After a few more of going back and forth with one another and how the idea could work, the women agreed.

“Very well, let me see which one you can take.” 

“Of course, thanks.”

A few minutes of silence went by before the golden box opened and closed. Jaoi opened it and grabbed the green paper that had the number 7348 on it.

Jaoi leaned against 7348’s door, “What’s your name?” Emery looked over to the thin man, “What do you want from me?” 

“Nothing,” Jaoi replied, “however, I think you can help me with something.” 

“I’m not stupid, I know what you want. You’re just like them, trying to warm us up to catch us off guard but not today sir.” 

“What are you talking about,” Jaoi stood up straight, a bit confused. 

“You know what I’m talking about,” it wasn’t until Emery noticed the white badge on his coat, “Wait… You don’t work on this  level?”

“No ma’am.”

The two awkwardly stood just a few feet away from one another, it was until Emery spoke up once more, “What do you need?” 

“I’m glad you asked,” he walks into Emery’s room, containing his distance from the girl. “You have been selected for an important cause. You can help this facility get closer to its goal, all while helping with mine.”

Emery got up from her bed, her cell door was wide open. She could make a run for it but how can she? She doesn’t know the layout of the building, only the green level. She thought for a moment, if she stayed and help the strange thin man with his problem, she could gain his trust, and she can learn the layouts. Jaoi noticed Emery staring at the wide open door, “I see, If you want to escape, you can forget about it.” 

Emery looked up at Jaoi and shook her head, “I’m not dumb. I know what happens when anyone tries to escape.” She sighed before continuing, “I’ll help you.”

“Excellent, we can go now,” said Jaoi in an excited voice. He then lends his hand to Emery which she hesitantly grabs onto. They checked the hallway for any guards, but none were in sight. As they walked down the hallway and onto the staircase, Joai says, “The only thing I can inform you about is that you will meet a white status, Number 2091.”

“Why,” Emery asked. She didn’t mind but she wanted to know why she was meeting a specific person. 

“That’s all I can tell you. If you know any better, you will keep your curiosity to yourself.” 

Emery kept quiet as they walked down the staircases, eventually arriving at the double doors that Jaoi was once at. He scanned his index finger, Emery keeping a close eye on everything for future purposes. Then, there they were, on the white level. Emery looked around, “Nothing has changed.” She let go of Jaoi’s hand and walked around the cafeteria. 

“In the green level, we only have one hour per day to interact with other greens. I miss being here.”

Jaoi felt empathy for the girl but shook it off, it is unprofessional for a scientist to have any emotion that could represent having a bond with an experiment. He grabbed her hand firmly and started walking out of the cafeteria. 

“Can I trust you?”

“You can,” replied Emery. 

“Stay here then, if I see that you have run off, I’ll make sure you get an orange badge when they capture you.”

It wasn’t like Jaoi to threaten any experiments but if he was going to help Josefina from being terminated, he had to put his foot down at some point. He let go of Emery’s hand, signaling her to stay put. He then disappeared through a foggy clear door, one can only see the blurry figure of the person. As she waited, she looked around and notice the small vines poking out from the ceiling, single evidence of a world outside. It wasn’t long until she saw the same blurry figure approaching, only this time there was someone else. 

“Number 2091, meet 7348, she will be your new friend,” Joai said as soon as the two of them went through the door. 

Emery wasn’t expecting a girl such as Josefina, she could only infer that she was about her age by her outward appearance. Besides that, everything else was different from her. Josefina seems to be a bit detached from reality but still somewhat aware of her surroundings. At first, Josefina was uncertain about the new person in front of her. She looked up at Joai, Joai nodded, signaling it was okay. So, she slowly grew closer to Emery and lifted her right hand. “Hello,” she said. 

“Hello,” Emery responded while lifting her own hand and shaking it with Josefinas. 

“Go sit and talk for a bit,” Joai said as he pushed them to a table and distanced himself from the girls. The two of them sat down and looked over at Jaoi, who has now seated a table away while having a notepad out and scribbling down notes. 

“Anyways,” Emery started, “How old are you?”

“I’m about fifteen, I’m turning sixteen soon I think.” 

“Oh. So… How long have you been in white level?”

“I don’t know.”

Emery nodded, seeing how Josefina was simply just answering questions and not engaging in conversation. Emery figured out how Josefina didn’t have any friends, she lacked comprehension of what it means to have one. Emery looked over to Jaoi with a, ‘what should I do?’ expression. Regardless of her attempts to grab his attention, he was too busy writing down notes. 

“What’s your name,” Josefina finally asked. 

“My name?”

“Yes silly,” She said. She leaned closer to Emery, looking at the ruffles on her dress. 

“I don’t think I’m allowed to say my name.”

“Mister isn't even paying attention.” Josefina was indeed right. 

“I guess you’re right,” she paused for a moment before responding, “My name is Emery but you have to call me 7348 around others.”

“Emery? That’s so pretty!” Josefina was now fully leaning against Emery's shoulder, “My name is Josefina.” 

Emery also leaned towards Josefina, oddly enough she felt comfortable with her. She held her hand until Jaoi came up, “Alright girls, We got things to talk about,” he said while sitting right across from them. “You two will meet every single day during number 7348, free time, and lunch. You will bond and you will succeed.” 

Emery wasn’t sure of what he meant by the last part of his sentence but she concluded that it was about her. On the other hand, Josefina was excited about the news and couldn’t wait to spend more time with Emery, who was now considered her best friend.