Amethyst | Teen Ink

Amethyst

October 17, 2018
By Elizabeth-Warriner BRONZE, Layton, Utah
More by this author
Elizabeth-Warriner BRONZE, Layton, Utah
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
" Being weird is normal, being normal is weird." - HappyhopperZX


Author's note:

When things are underlined and slanted it means they are talking with there mind.

The author's comments:

The parts that are tilted and underlined are the parts in which they speak with there minds.

The large egg in my arms started to vibrate. A chill crept up my neck as It started to shake more violently. What do I do?  I wondered as I heard a large crack echo throughout the camp. As it shook a dim purple glow illuminated from the egg. A single purple claw stuck out of the shell causing the crack to spread. A bit at a time, the egg started to crack farther until a fourth of the four foot egg was gone and a large paw with dagger gleaming claws was sticking out. As the egg began to crack more, a strange sensation went through my hand. It feels like a daggers cutting into my palm!  I thought as a sharp pain went through my palm. From the egg another claw broke through the other side. The egg top gave in and collapsed. From inside the stone egg, a purple head about the size of a loaf of bread popped out and rested a large violet eye on me.

 

                Hello a strong but young voice said to me.  For a minute I stood there confused. All at once, what had just occurred came flooding into my mind. Why… what…. Uh…. Why would you choose me? The other elves around here are so much wiser and more experienced, stronger, more fit to be a rider. Why me?  I asked confused at the fact that I had been chosen out of the other eleven elves. A rider is chosen for it’s soul, its heart. Besides, you have been in many battles. You were one of the best fighters there. You have a heart of gold, you’re a perfect person for I. we will strive to do better, even than Eragon and Saphira.

 

                From behind me a large gust of wind came through the sky. As I turned around, I saw Saphira coming in for a landing. As she neared the ground, she twisted up at the last minute and landed on all fours. The entire meadow’s ground shook with the impact. Well, I see we have our first new students. Saphira said approaching. It seems so Eragon said as he unstrapped his legs from the saddle. Tell me, what is your name?

 

          I am Alstera, I have been one of your new guards. I answered in my largest voice I could muster after the frightening experience I had just had. Hello Saphira the smaller dragon said. hello little one.  Saphira said turning her large head to the small, purple dragon that huddled near my chest. You are much larger then I was at your age, you are as large as one of my legs yet you only just hatched. Saphira said examining the dragon about the size of a horse calf in my arms with one of her large sapphire eyes. Yes, I believe I may even grow faster. All though you are more experienced, I believe I can do what you will teach us and perhaps even better it. The smaller dragon said with pride in her voice. Also just as cocky Saphira said with a bit of amusement in her voice, What will you name this prideful little one?

 

I am not sure, she is an amazing creature, perhaps I must think a bit for this...... well...... what about Violet?... no.....  perhaps..... Amethyst? Yes, I believe that fits her. I said smoothing the scales on Amethyst's head. What do you think Amethyst? Does it please you?

 

Yes, it pleases me, you will make a great rider little elf. She said humming deep in her throat. I blushed a bit. You are far to kind, honestly, I'm not sure I'm right for a rider. I said a bit unconfident for the first time since I was a child. We must work hard... we will strive to do well brightscales.

 

You are already decently well at sword fighting, archery, and magic. It shouldn't take to long for the both of you to be ready to do as you please. Since the little dragon is already so large, she will most likely be as big as I am currently in less than four months. Saphira said looking at the smaller dragon and me.

The author's comments:

The parts that are tilted and underlined are the parts in which they speak with there minds.

Chapter 2- Graduation Dinner

 

(four months later)

Can you believe we've completed our training? I mean you're bigger then Saphira now. I guess you really did grow faster than she did. I said to Amethyst as Eragon, Saphira, Arya, Fernen, Murtagh, Thorn, and Nusada gathered around the table. I am not particularity surprised, I was in my egg longer then she's been alive, so all the growth I should have had in that time period came as soon as I was out of my egg. She said settling down on the marble floor with her claws and scales making small clangs. Yeah, but, still... That’s amazing. I'm glad you’re my dragon Amethyst. I said stroking her scales underneath her chin.

 

"Ladies and Gentlemen and dragons. Tonight we gather in celebration of my students, Alstera and Amethyst. As If tonight they have graduated and has exceeded far past what I had expected. In fact, they have done better then I did with my training. Tonight we feast in celebration. Before we start, Saphira and I have made a gift for you. Tonight, we give you your very own riders sword." He said raising a sword in his arms.

 

Taking it from him I studied the large piece of metal in my arms. The sheath of which the blade rested in was a bright silver with many different shades of purple and the symbol of the dragon riders carved into the metal and painted a violet color. Removing the sheath gently I studied the actual blade. The blade was made of a metal that had been colored purple. The purple shade was about the same color as Amethyst's scales yet were dull in shine compared to her scales.  The handle was also made of a silver metal and had several different curls and designs that all connected to a purple jewel in the center. Inside the jewel a large collection of blue's, purple's, gold's, red's and an assortment of several different energies.

 

Taking the blade into battle ready position, I slashed it quickly through the air slicing an imaginary enemy's head, quickly I turned around and parried the blade of another imaginary enemy, leaping into the air I struck at the enemy piercing it in the ribs. Turning around I parried three soldiers blade's and sliced one in the ribs taking the opening of their unguarded side. The other I stroke at the ribcage of and blew a large gust of wind from their throat. " Thank you Eragon and Saphira." I said sheathing the blade.

 

" Your next gift is something that I and Saphira also made the most of." He said raising a purple belt with a small pouch. "this is your very own belt, After Nusada was able to find my belt, I decided you need one as well. There are twelve diamonds, nine are violet or purple and the rest are from my belt. There is a color to remember us each by, the blue is for Saphira and I, the green for Arya and Fernen, The red for Murtagh and thorn. The ones I gave you from my belt have some energy Inside them. The jewel in your blade also has a lot of energy from us and the Eldunarí. Let us feast!!" he yelled raising a gold goblet into the air.

 

All around us, the dragons each sent out a jet of flame, Amethyst's purple, Thorn's red, Saphira's blue, and Fernen's green. The flames combined to make what seemed like a work of art made by fire... A firework.

 

" What will you do next? Do you plan on staying here?" Nusada asked walking towards me, " because if you are able, we could certainly use your help. The Razzac's have been growing in population and have organized a rebellion in which their parents are also involved which makes it very hard to defeat them seeing as they can fly. Although I am now queen, the battle is not easy. With your help we could certainly have more hope of defeating them. Seeing as Amethyst is about the size of 50 of them, and has much more skills, we could use your help. Also, no matter what the size is of a Razzac, they are no challenge for a rider such as yourself."

 

" Perhaps, I have not really thought about it. Honestly I would love to return to Alagaësia. It is where I have known for most of my life. I believe that I would very much like it if I did. Although I would like to have Eragon and Saphira confirm that this is safe and a good idea. What do you say Eragon?"

 

" I have seen the Razzac's and they are not particularly easy to defeat. With your help, it will be much easier to defeat them and prevent further destruction." He said, "well I suppose you should. It could be very good for you two to get to work together in order to share and develop your fighting technique. That should help you develop your friendship and create a stronger bond. Very well... Tonight, we now not only celebrate the graduation of Alstera and Amethyst, also their leaving!!" He announced in a large voice. The room erupted in applause and shouts.

The author's comments:

The parts that are tilted and underlined are the parts in which they speak with there minds.

Once I returned to my room, I spent a long while packing all that I treasured and wished to take with me back to Alagaësia. I will miss this place Amethyst. I said to her as I packed my purple armor into the large saddlebag that Amethyst would carry for the next two days. I find it amusing that your larger than Saphira yet can travel at twice her speed. Perhaps it is because you are not as long lived out of your egg then her. Or perhaps it is because your rider is an elf... In any case, we will get there sooner than they could have.

 

As I worked my body longed to stay in the new wonderful place in which it now was, in a place with little walls, endless numbers of meadows, large forest and much more freedom. After a long while I crawled into the now nearly bare bed and rested my head on my pillow. Settling into her large bed, Amethyst rested her head next to my chest. Goodnight little elf. She said humming deep in her throat. " Goodnight Amethyst" I said as I closed my eyes.

…..........................................

(three days later)

 When I woke up, I saw Amethyst putting on her saddle bags in preparation to leave. " I must go and say goodbye to the other elves before we go. I'll meet you in the meadow." I said leaping out of the warm bed. Very well, tell them I say goodbye as well. She said in a tired and powerful voice as I quickly slipped on my shoes and tied the purple belt around my waist. " I will." I promised as I finished up sliding eldrvarí (my new riders sword) into its sheath.

 

" Goodbye!" I said waving as I closed the door behind me. As I started to leap down the stairs, I came face to face with the other elves as they started up my tower of stairs. "Hello Alstera, we came to say goodbye before you take off." The oldest elf of the group said inclining his head in a show of respect. "sé stjarna varda ono (may the stars watch over you)". " And you as well great elf."

 

After a long time of saying goodbye and exchanging words with my old friends, I knew that I needed to go. "Goodbye" I said waving as gracefully as I could, starting off at tremendous speed to the large meadow clearing.

 

Once I arrived, Amethyst was waiting in the clearing crouching, so I could leap on her back. As soon as I saw this I took a large leap and landed on her neck.  Let's catch up with the rest of them. They had a day's head start. But I know we can catch up. I said strapping my legs to her saddle. Here we go! She said as she took a large leap forward and pounced into the air, flapping her wings, we were propelled into the air. It's going to be a smooth and quick ride. She said enjoying the wind in her wings. Get comfy, it's going to be a long while. Perhaps you could work on filling those gems with more magic.

 

Well, let's just hope everything turns out all right. Besides, I'm sure your looking forward to seeing Thorn, after all, at the dinner, you seemed to take a liking to him. I said settling into my seat. Perhaps, he is a rather strong and wise dragon. But you also seemed to take a liking to Murtagh. She said happily. I blushed. Just a bit, he's just a handsome guy. Besides, we're both riders. I said as I closed my eyes as I started to drift off listening to the steady beat of Amethyst's wings.

…......................................................

 

When I woke up, there was the wingbeats of three dragons. I sat up and looked around to see that we had caught up with the others. "Wow, we really are fast. Well, more or less you Amethyst. Good job!" I said happily stroking Amethyst's scales.

 

" We are nearly there. Amethyst has been able to fly a regular, four-day flight in less than twenty-four hours. I'm surprised. Well done." Murtagh said smiling. "Yes, she might just become the new best flyer of us all. Infact, she's as quick and swift as some of the wild dragons used to be. Perhaps she is related to Belgabad. You are certainly wise, strong and swift enough to be related." Arya said in a calm voice, " Get ready to land, we are drawing near the castle. I must head my separate way. Elesmera needs their queen back."

 

" Goodbye Fernen and Arya. I hope to see you again soon." I said waving goodbye. Travel safely, farewell. Amethyst said letting a large fume of smoke come from her nostrils. Goodbye to the both of you younglings. Fernen said as he started to turn away.

 

Both Murtagh, Nusada and I waved until we could no longer see them as they disappeared behind a large cloud. "So, Nusada, do you have any plans for when I and Amethyst arrive in Alagaësia?” I asked swiftly pulling my hair into a small bunch on the back of my head with a long, purple ribbon. “I have a place in which I believe you two will be suited to stay in. It is in the new area for the riders. It is the best room by far, and also the largest that has been built. You and Amethyst should find it nice there. As for plans… we must first arrive and see what we have missed. I have been gone for over three days. In doing so, I have missed quite a bit. I must catch up on what we have missed. I will study the enemies growth and see how far we can ensure our victory without your help. As long as they are not aware of your presence. We can certainly use this to our advantage. Are you able to be battle ready in a few days if we are able to create suitable armor for Amethyst?” she said holding on to the horn of Thorn’s saddle.

 

“ We can be ready at your first notice. We’re at your service.” I said inclining my head a bit in a show of decent respect. “As am I. We are equals. You need not show me such… seriousness… I think of you more as a friend, and less of an ally. I hope we will be able to enjoy each other’s company while you are with us. Although we only know each other a bit, you are most realistically a great friend to me.” She said turning a bit red in the cheeks. “ You are also a great friend to me Nusada. You and Murtagh have been a great help to us and have been extremely kind. Even seeing as if you were not the queen now, we would still be in a great debt to you. Murtagh, we owe you quite a lot. You have saved Eragon’s life and Saphira’s sanity several times. In doing so, you made it possible for Amethyst and I to be together. Thankyou, we owe you more then we can express.” I said inclining my head as I looked at Murtagh.

 

He blushed a bit. "It was nothing to thank me for. For I also tried to kill him..." he said clearly doubting himself. "But from what I understand, you were under the influence of the evil king. Therefor that was not you." I said. Nor was it your fault, thorn. Amethyst added on.

 

I know, but if I had just been stronger, perhaps we could have done more, maybe....... we could have prevented the evil king from having full control over us....... Thorn said lost in thought at what I was sure was horrible, scarring memories of the time they were under the evil king's control. "It's all right Thorn, none of it was your fault. You shouldn’t blame yourself for what you had no control over. You were strong, and brave. You did the best you could. That's what saved Eragon and Saphira and what allowed Amethyst and I to be together. You are truly part of a great Legend. We thank you will all of our hearts that you were as strong as you were back then.”

 

You are welcome. Although I still believe we could have done so much more, I was happy to have meant the two of you. If we had not meant Eragon, I am sure we would not have gotten to know the both of you. Thorn said making a small maneuver in the air. I nodded my head slowly. I could see Nusada clutching  tightly to Murtagh as Thorn did so. Amethyst did the same movement but, much more gracefully, I hardly had to hold on at all. Once we were upright again, I could feel Murtagh’s gaze on me. My cheeks heated up a bit and I knew that I had turned a deep red in the cheeks. I hated that Murtagh got these reactions out of me.

 

I stared down at my sash, messing with the gems of which Eragon and Saphira had given me. One of my hands were on my sword, twisting my hand around the handle. We are nearly at the main hall. Thorn, we should start diving. Amethyst said.

 

She did a large spiral upwards, then turned sharply and spiraled down. I smiled as the wind whipped across my face, my hair flying behind me. The ground came spiraling at us at a enormous speed in which apparently was not that fast for Amethyst. She extended her wings, the air filling them quickly as we landed with an enormous thud in the small clearing infront of the palace.

The author's comments:

The parts that are tilted and underlined are the parts in which they speak with there minds.

Once Amethyst Landed, I swiftly jumped off of my saddle, landing in a crouch. Then, I stood up straight and Fixed my dress, raising my head to look at Amethyst. She sat there, not making any comment as she eyed where we would be staying for the next long while.

 

What do you think? I asked her, coming closer with sturdy footsteps. It doesn’t seem all as unique as the island of the dragon riders did. Nor is it half as unique as our home. She said, bored and unimpressed.

 

“Come on, It's not that bad. Besides, it becomes what we will make of it. We can make something great.” I said stroking the smooth, hard purple scales of her leg. She hummed deep in her throat, the sound made me smile to myself in pleasure.

 

“you up for giving this place a whole new feel?” I asked, smiling a bit at her. She mentally nodded.

 

“Allright, If you would both please follow me, I will show you where you are staying.” Nusada said, approaching us with a grin on her face. “Of course. Lead the way your Majesty.” I said bowing my head a bit. Amethyst got up, stretching out, her vibrant purple scales reflecting the sun, causing purple gleams of light to bounce off of her scales in every direction. I giggled a bit, then cleared my throat. Amethyst got back up, now stretched and ready to go.

 

Your quite the show off, aren't you? I asked her, climbing back onto her. Maybe, maybe not. She answered, an amused tint to her mental voice. I laughed a bit in response. Nusada led the way through the long marble lined hallways of the palace. The sealing seemed much to short for a dragon like Amethyst. I do hope they have another way to get to where we will be staying. I find it quite unconfutable for me as a rider and you as such a large dragon to have to go through such a small and narrow tunnel. I said as I leaned back in my saddle. Amethyst mentally nodded and then seemed to think of something quite amusing to her.  She made a low chuckling sound in the back of her throat. She imagined me on the top of her whacking my head again and again as she walked. Her head hit the sealing as we walked in her imaginary world. Then she thought of something else. She thought of us simply breaking open the sealing and flying to where our new home was. I shook my head. No, we can simply create a clearing so we no longer have to go through this tunnel. I said and shifted my weight forward so I would not hit my head. She agreed and as we continued to walk, her large, dagger sharp claws clicked against the marble floor. We continued to travel through the narrow tunnel until we reached a ending to the tunnel that led to a large grove of trees and wildlife. Amethyst quickly examined the beautiful area with a gleaming purple eye. She mentally nodded in approval. A fine area for hunting and a wonderful place for practice. She said and laid down so I could climb down. I easily slipped down and landed on the ground without a thud. I straightened up and examined the area myself. The trees were beautiful and had a smooth look to the bark. The green spring leaves were mixed with buds and blossoms that were a purple and white. They had a orange center of polling. The grass felt soft as did the ground. The flowers were few but what there was, was quite a beautiful accent of green and purple. The area seemed designed for a Elf such as myself and a dragon such as Amethyst.

 

“Please, come this way.” Nusada said and walked down a wide path of soft dirt. At the end of the road, a tall tree seemed as a house. The leaves were like the others but were much higher in the area seeing as the building seemed eighty feet tall or higher. The bark was different then the other trees. It had been sanded to a smooth texture, the color was just a regular brown. There was a large set at the bottom of the tree. I knew it couldn’t fit Amethyst, she was much to large.

 

“Those are the stables. You have over four horses. Two are black and Friesians, they can travel up to sixty miles an hour, Extremely fast.” Nusada explained as she detected my eyes scanning the large doors. Amethyst rolled her eyes. Hardly fast at all if you ask me. Dragons are much faster and much more graceful. She mentally growled. I nodded. This was very true. My eyes wondered along the tree to a large set of stairs. This house looked extremely like the dragon quarters in the home of the elves. The stairs were lined with grown purple and green flowers on beautiful green vines. The railing were curled at the edge. I looked at Amethyst, she was looking up. I looked up as well and saw what she was staring at. It was the dragon entrance.

 

I’ll meat you inside? I proposed. She didn’t answer but simply crouched lowly into the ground and then sprung into the air. Her large wings flapped and a large gust of air baffled me and Nusada. “Sorry, she was very excited to see the inside.” I said dusting off my purple dress. Nusada looked extremely shocked but quickly recovered and brushed off her own long gown. She nodded in curtesy and stepped towards the stairs. I followed easily behind her and climbed the stairs. “This reminds me of my home… Tell me, how did you get this to grow in this way?” I asked as we continued to climb the long stairs.  She turned a bit pink in the cheeks and replied simply. “I had Arya grow it.” She said as she seemed a bit tired. “Of course. She is extremely kind.” I replied. Nusada nodded again as we reached the top of the stairs. The doors were quite large for a human but I guess she knew we had a lot to bring in. The doors were lined with a glistening purple paint and the handles were made of what appeared to be the gem amethyst. I smiled lightly. I opened the door to see a large, open area, the walls were as well painted. For the most part, they were painted with the living dragon riders, Arya, Eragon, and Murtagh. There was a large painting of Oromis and Galdr. It reminded me of him. I did miss them a lot but I knew there was nothing I could do to bring them back. If I tried, even for an elf like me, it would cause death. I shook the though away and looked around the rest of the room. There was a extremely large pad that served as a seat for Amethyst as she sat there calmly, hearing us enter, she raised her large head and made what a dragon would call a smile. I smiled back. I surveyed the rest of the room and discovered a large purple couch with a side table with a magic lamp. Across from the couch, a beautiful, burning fireplace lined with the glistening purple paint was set. Above it, a wooden mantle painted completely purple with beautiful carvings of dragons breathing fire. I smiled larger. This seemed like a wonderful place and I was pleased to call it my new home.  



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.