The Traditional Music of Spain | Teen Ink

The Traditional Music of Spain

By Mcdillthegoddess BRONZE, Kihei, Hawaii
Mcdillthegoddess BRONZE, Kihei, Hawaii

Flamenco was first historically recorded in 1774. It was founded in Andalusia and was based on Andalusian and Romani dance and music styles. “Many believe flamenco to be the invention of the gypsies, and although they have been the main protagonists of the art, they are not its sole creators.” (Tony Bryant) In around the 15th century the guitar was invented in Spain, but despite this, Flamenco was performed solely with the voice and the accompaniment of a wooden staff to pound on the floor for rhythm. The guitar was most likely integrated into Flamenco music gradually, as it became increasingly popular.

Flamenco is a rhythmic, spontaneous music that has four main components; Palmas(clapping), Cante(singing), Baile(dancing), and Toque(guitar). It also involves another, less physical, but more emotional element; duende, which roughly translates to spirit. Flamenco music uses clapping and singing to surround the fast paced picking of the classical guitar. It often is accompanied by a second guitar. One guitar plays the melody, and the other the harmony.
This passionate music is known for its color and zest. Brilliantly dressed and flashy dancers become one with the music and those in the audience are infected. This is the duende mentioned earlier. Many performers help to keep Spain’s past alive by sharing this aspect of their rich culture with visitors from around the world.