A Brief History of Spain | Teen Ink

A Brief History of Spain

December 7, 2014
By Mcdillthegoddess BRONZE, Kihei, Hawaii
Mcdillthegoddess BRONZE, Kihei, Hawaii
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Spain has gone through hundreds of years of conflict to become the modern country we know today. Tens of millions of people visit from around the world each year to explore its majesties and bask in its vibrant culture. In order to fully grasp how this beautiful country was shaped, it may be helpful to be aware of the monumental events that took place before the present.

Spain encompasses most of the landmass on the Iberian Peninsula, located in Southern Europe. Civilization in Spain can be traced back to the Stone age. During the First Century, Roman rule brought the stepping stones for a prosperous nation; government, law, and a booming economy. After the downfall of the Roman Empire, a rapid succession of imperial nations took over the Iberian Peninsula before the Moors held it in the Seventh Century for nearly 800 years. Christian rule disrupted the Muslim power and united the state of Spain in 1492. By 1512, the territory known as Spain was unified.


Spain reached its peak in the 16th and 17th centuries as the foremost power in Europe due to its territory in the Americas. It lost most of its power when King Charles II of Spain died in 1700 with no heir. In his will, he succeeded Spain’s crown to the French prince Philip, which brought the War of the Spanish Succession. French power was feared and the other countries of Europe banded together to put the Archduke Charles of Austria on the throne instead. The French were defeated in several battles, but in 1711, the Emperor Joseph I of Austria died. It then became evident that giving the Archduke power over both Austria and Spain was even more dangerous than France controlling both nations. A treaty was created in 1713 that gave Spain to the French prince, so long as France and Spain were never united. Spain lost its territory outside of the Peninsula in the treaty, thus losing its power, as well as ending the war. Spain remained weak for several decades before Napoleon began his war path.

Napoleon of France, after having gained much territory in Europe in his conquests, moved troops into Spain in 1807. He dethroned the King of Spain in 1808, and placed his brother Joseph as the new king. Spain had little military power and was easily conquered, but the Spanish revolted for freedom. This uprising encouraged Britain to move in troops to take the quickly growing French power down. After several skirmishes, the real war began in 1812. Although far outnumbered, the British army was able to move into Spain and inflict a swift, devastating blow to the French with the help of Spanish Guerilla forces. French numbers forced the British to retreat and hold off for reinforcements. France moved Eastward toward Russia and was defeated, and as French troops were rallied in the East to prepare for a counter attack, Britain had the perfect chance to strike. They moved onward and with the help of the Spanish took France while it was focused on Russia. Eventually, the French crusade was crushed and the Peninsular War ended in 1814. Unfortunately, the aftermath left Spain even weaker than before.

Spain, left weak from the Peninsular War, wobbled on its unstable legs; the economy and government. Spain attempted to stifle the Cuban revolution (are these your words? ) for independence in 1895 but in 1898 the US decided it was time to intervene. The US demanded that Spain let go of its colonies in the west and threatened to use force. Spain declined and the US promptly ordered a blockade around Cuba. Spain declared war on the US, which was instantly reciprocated. The US proceeded to destroy the Spanish naval fleet guarding the Philippines and defeated the Spanish army on Cuba. Afterwards, the Spanish Caribbean naval fleet, Spain’s last frontier, was defeated by the US. Spain relented and contacted the US about peace terms, and a treaty was signed in 1899. The treaty gave Cuba independence, and gave Guam and Puerto Rico to the US. Spain also sold the Philippines to the US for $20 million dollars.

In the years leading up the Second World War, Spain was split into two opposing parties; the Nationalists and the Republicans. Nationalists rallied behind Fransisco Franco and his fascist views. In 1936, a Nationalist army rose up against the Republic Government and quickly took over most of Spain and its territories. By 1937, with the Nationalist party controlling most of the Spanish territory, war was raging throughout the country. Franco was aided by Germany and Italy with weapons while the Soviet Union, France, and America supported the Republicans. Finally in 1938 Franco split the waning Republican forces and they soon surrendered, thus ending the bloody Civil War. The defeated Republican party attempted to negotiate at peace, but Franco refused and in 1939 proceeded to rule Spain as a Fascist Dictator until his death in 1975. Although Spain remained neutral in WW2, it’s loyalties lied with the Axis Powers.

After Franco’s death in 1975, Spain returned to a democracy when the succeeding king Juan Carlos let the people vote. Spain also withdrew from the Spanish Sahara, thus ending its colonial empire. The transition from dictatorship was fairly smooth as the people voted for the first time in nearly forty years. Spain was admitted to the European Union in 1986 and in 1992 held the summer olympics in Barcelona. 

Since its unification in 1512, Spain has gone through over five-hundred years of often conflict-filled history to become what it is today. Although it is still facing problems, it has grown much in strength and structure. The ever-advancing humankind only brightens Spain’s future. Hopefully, Spain will return to the stable, wealthy country it was in the 16th century.