School Year Abroad in Rennes, France | Teen Ink

School Year Abroad in Rennes, France

By Amanda deBerardinis GOLD, San Diego, California
Amanda deBerardinis GOLD, San Diego, California

As an eleventh grade student of School Year Abroad in Rennes, France during the 2009-2010 school year, I have found this experience extremely rewarding and would not trade it for anything. While living with a cordial and understanding host family, I have opened my eyes to a different culture and perspective, learning to adopt the French customs and lifestyle. Speaking French throughout the day and becoming accustomed to living in a completely different environment than San Diego was a challenge at first, but now becoming second nature. I enjoy coming home to a long day and chatting with my host family: sharing conversations at the dinner table over an epicurean meal. I am also involved with Breton folk dancing, a unique and culturally stimulating activity that has allowed me to try something new that I never would have been introduced to at my high school in the US (The Bishop’s School).
We are also receiving a more in-depth education of the humanities all taught in French: French language, literature, history, art history, and elocution, with the exceptions of math and English. While coping with the rigorous French grading system, maintaining a healthy relationship with a host family, and honoring commitments to extracurricular activities, I realized that going outside the box was by no means easy, but so worth the risk. Also, the school trips allow us to see different regions in France; for example, we partake on adventures to the Gulf of Morbihan, the Loire Valley Châteaux, the Mont Saint-Michel, Provence, and Paris. I love Rennes: the quaint shops and cobblestone streets, the delectable desserts and exotic cheeses, the Breton style houses. Overall, SYA is a once in a lifetime opportunity that I will cherish forever, as I continue to be enriched by the French experience, hoping to return to the city that has become my second home.