Go For It...Say Yes | Teen Ink

Go For It...Say Yes

By bluejay31 SILVER, Scottsdale, Arizona
bluejay31 SILVER, Scottsdale, Arizona

The array of colors from the lights that are hanging down from the hundreds of shops down the street somehow blinds me. The sounds of laughter and chattering drown around me. I inhale the smell of Korean Barbecue and the sweet smell of rice that is wafting through the cool night air.

I look straight ahead of me, and there are hundreds of people. Knowing what I’ll see, but still curious, I look to my right and left, and once again, all I see are people. I sigh, and I feel crammed and an overpowering sense of claustrophobia strangles me. My cousins laugh at me, as I keep complaining about the amount of people.

I feel tense, and for some reason, I don’t feel comfortable. I don’t feel at ease. The food smells weird…and I don’t want to be here.

Suddenly, my cousins excitedly points to an odd looking sign that is dangling from the side of a rundown building. The sign flickers on and off in a yellow color, and it reads, “1???”.

I shrug, and I can’t seem to grasp the fact why my cousins are beaming with excitement.

“What?” I ask, confused.

“2??,” Jeff says, tugging on my shirt. “3?? ????.”

A tingling sense of fear rushes over me. Si…ing? I can’t sing?

Hesitantly, I follow behind them, not knowing what to expect, but knowing that I DO NOT want to sing.

We enter into a bright room, and my cousins exchange a few words with the lady in charge. I stand behind them, not knowing what’s going on. Then, the lady suddenly brings us into a dark, small room.

I tag along and I take my first step into the small, dark room, only to be flooded by rays of disco lights bouncing off the sides of the room. The lady exchanges a few more words with my cousins, and she leaves us alone in the room. In my head, I scream, “Don’t leave! Get me out of here!”

My cousin immediately snatches the microphone that is resting on the table, turns on the television, and hands me the microphone, gesturing me to sing first.

I look at him, with my eyes wide open… “No,” I strictly announce. “I’ll just watch.”

“This is AMAZING!” I try to shout out over the loud music that’s playing.

Just in front of me, there is a large television that is playing out the lyrics for the songs that we want to sing. Holding a microphone, my cousin is singing. To my right, my other cousin is laughing hysterically, because of my cousin’s awful singing, and to my surprise, I laugh along as well.

The loud beats of the drums pound in my chest. My cousin’s awful singing drowns around us. However, for some reason, our laughter and our enjoyment feels stronger and louder.

Just a minute ago, I had finally agreed to sing, after countless threats from my cousins. As I sang, I felt so free. I felt this awkward feeling that I had never felt before.

As my cousin continues to sing, I lazily sit in my comfortable chair, and I realize that this experience right now has really helped me open up my eyes. It had helped me learn that you have to take charge and take things head on, wanting to experience new adventures in life.

I don’t feel tense anymore. I don’t feel uncomfortable anymore. My palms are still sweaty, but because I’m excited. I don’t want to go back home…I’m finally having fun.

1??? – Singing Room

2?? – Lets Go
3?? ???? – We’re gonna sing.

Sometimes, you have to let go of your stubbornness and just go for things...especially if you are travelling and if you are in a different country with different culture, food, people, atmosphere, etc.

amyxu said...
This is a cute story. A few suggestions: the verb tense change right here, "Just a minute ago, I had finally agreed to sing...I felt this awkward feeling that I had never felt before" is very confusing and threw me off. I definitely would stick with present tense all the way through. Also, I think there might be a better title, one that's more creative and picks out a certain aspect from the story. I like the easy, flowing tone of the piece and I think the theme is just wonderful. Nice work :)