NBA Cares | Teen Ink

NBA Cares

By Dlim9087 BRONZE, Plainsboro, New Jersey
Dlim9087 BRONZE, Plainsboro, New Jersey

Throughout the United States, many social issues are presented like not enough schools to provide for kids or not enough hospitals to care for sick people. NBA Cares is the NBA league’s global social responsibility program that builds on the NBA’s mission of addressing important social issues in the United States and around the world. This organization works with internationally-recognized youth-serving programs to raise money and help bring awareness to the world.

Some of the youth-serving programs they have or are still working with now is Special Olympics, Make-A-Wish Foundation, UNICEF, and more. With the help of these programs, NBA Cares run charity events and offer volunteers to assist areas in need. Since NBA Cares was introduced in 2005, the NBA league and teams have raised more than $270 million for charity, provided more than 3.5 million hours of hands-on service, and built more than 995 places for kids and families in need to learn, live, or play.

One very important events or partnerships they run is NBA Green. NBA Green is a partnership between the NBA and Green Sports Alliance to generate awareness and funds to protect the environment. NBA teams have made their arenas eco friendly and improved the efficiency so that it can reduce waste and safe energy. Seven NBA teams have received LEED Certification, which means that the building is beneficial to the environment and will not harm it in any sort of way.

NBA Cares strives to help the world become a better place through many different events that they host. NBA Green is only one of many partnerships and events they run in order to raise money and solve the world’s social issues. Other events/partnerships they have are Hoops for Troops, NBA FIT, NBA Community Assist, and more.