200 meters | Teen Ink

200 meters

By Cheesecake SILVER, Cripple Creek, Colorado
Cheesecake SILVER, Cripple Creek, Colorado

"If music be the food of love play on"-William Shakespeare

At the starting line; my heart is racing, I can feel butterflies in my stomach.

“On your marks” My stomach lurches as I put my feet on my blocks.

“Get set” Everyone’s butts go up in the air and I get more nervous. Then, the starter gun goes off and I sprint as hard and as fast as I can.

After sprinting the first hundred meters on the corner my opponents and I come to the straight-away. I was in first but, only because the corners were my strength, not the straight-aways, sounds messed up right? I still sprint and my feet are barely touching the track. The person in lane 4 begins to pass me, the same from lane 2. There were only 5 of us in this race. Oh lord, I thought, please don’t let me get last. I fall behind, my good speed was fading, I was loosing strength.

I knew my race was over, I wasn’t getting a place, I was going to be last. When I hit the finish line I quickly turned around and saw that there was no one else behind me, I was last. All of my opponents looked at me and shot me nasty grins as the judges came around and congratulated the first, second and third place winners. My heart sunk and my lungs heaved. I walked off the track and my coach came up to me, “Good try, next time you’ll do better.” She smiled. I attempted (and failed) a smile back and made my way back to where my team sat in the grass. They gave me congrats and I shrugged them off. Maybe I shouldn’t be upset. I thought, I played fair, and tried your hardest and you just weren’t fast enough. And that can be improved on.

I didn’t feel like a winner but, maybe I was. I had realized something the others in my heat hadn’t. Do you think I won or lost?

The real meaning of a race is not what place you get, but how you run it.

thanks girlie!!

haha thanks

-alice- PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado

I care very little if I am judged by you or any other human court; indeed I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. -1 Corinthians 4:3-4

Abby, amazing! I know how this feels, believe me.

Deipnosophist BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Mentally you duped your opponents, physically you were beat.