One Girl's Dream | Teen Ink

One Girl's Dream MAG

By Anonymous

   Most people thought that my idea of wanting to try out for the boy's high school hockey team was crazy. I felt very positive about it because making the team was something I really wanted to do. When I was a freshman at Somerville High School, I felt as though I had the power to make at least the junior varsity hockey team. Although I thought trying out for the team would be a great idea as a freshman, it took me nearly three years to fulfill my dream. During my freshman and sophomore years, I was on a roller coaster ride emotionally. I would think of all kinds of ideas to help me make the team and to help raise my confidence to its peak. Then, before I knew it, my confidence had disappeared and I would back out for a period of time. This caused me to have to start all over again, to regain any confidence which I needed to give me the willpower to attend the tryouts.

I recognized the pros and cons of being on the team; tried to figure out if I would be well received by the coach. I wondered if I would even get ice time during the games. Also, I was most concerned about how the other team members would react to having a girl on the team.

Finally, midway through my junior year, I had raised my confidence to its max, and I wasn't going to let anything change my mind. I even had my friends behind me giving me that extra little push by telling me to go for it, and not to back out. The big day came; it was the Monday after Thanksgiving, 1991, when I had to present myself at the ice skating rink for tryouts. I skated to my fullest potential throughout the entire hour, and it paid off because I didn't get cut. I was told to be at the second tryout session which would last for two hours. Again I skated all out and, because of this, I made the junior varsity team.

Finally, after three years, I completed something that I had wanted to do for a long time. As the season went on, I became more and more appreciated, not only by the coach but also by my teammates. I did not get any special attention and this is exactly how I wanted it. I preferred to be treated just like "one of the guys." Making the team was great! Now that I made the junior varsity this year, I am going back next year to try out for the varsity. Once I do this, I feel I can really do whatever my heart wants to do as long as I put my mind to it and never back out. n