Own Your 20 | Teen Ink

Own Your 20

By Schacht25Bailey BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Schacht25Bailey BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

When you feel like stopping, think about why you started.
Or
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

This is it, This is what our team has been waiting for all season. As we warm up in left field with the sun beaming down on us and the sky baby blue. People showing up in big groups and teams staying to watch who is going to win the 12u Conference championship game. Our opponent was Lake City, easily our teams biggest rival. Every time we played them we either won or lost by one.

As we take the field for Infield-Outfield I could tell we were going to play a good game. We hustled to our positions and had lots of chatter. Everyone looking smooth and crisp with no balls getting by. Then a ball got hit to me by the coach, I fielded it and tossed it over to first like nothing. Soon Infield-Outfield was over and we kept the chatter up. Suddenly, I got nervous looking at how many fans stayed to see who was going to win, and watching Lake city do just as good warming up. I remembered what My coach said though, ”always own your 20, nobody but yourself can affect what you do in your own 20 Square feet”.

All of a sudden the game was underway, We played good…real good. Our pitcher was throwing strikes and the defense made plays. People in the stands hooting and hollering for both teams. We made a quick three outs, now it's our turn to hit. Ball one! The ump yelled soon we had a runner on first. He stole second and was safe. The next two batters popped out now it's my turn, Strike one!, I fouled the next one off. Now it's 0-2, Then I got hit by a pitch. We have runners on first and second now. It didn't last long, we grounded out for out number three.

Soon it was the 4th inning, the score is still 0-0. Both Lake City and us have fought tough. They are batting now, the first guy gets walked then a base hit was made. Runners on First and Second with 0 outs. Our pitcher throws the ball, nothing has been hit to be at all this game until now. A blazing ball right to the bag. I step on 3rd then threw over the 1st. My first double play ever! And it was in a critical situation too. All the fans are cheering and I had a huge smile on my face. Jonny strikes the last guy out.  Now we need to score some runs. Will was up, he fouled off one and missed one. The count is now 0-2 and you could tell he was nervous. He takes a breath, all of a sudden CRACK! The ball hit the gap in left field for a base hit. Now we have a runner on first with 0 outs. Next up is Jonny, 2 balls are thrown to him right away then he takes a strike call. POP! I get hit on the side, now runners on first and second with 0 outs. The next kid strikes out and the other flys out. We have runners on first and second with 2 outs now I'm up, I was nervous but remembered coach telling me “ own your 20 ”. I take two deep breaths and close my eyes at the same time imagining me hitting the ball. It helped, I was ready. First pitch was a strike, I was above the ball. Then a dirtball was pitched and the runners advanced. “There they are in scoring position,” I tell myself while taking another deep breath. Then, I got hit by a pitch and the bases are loaded. It was our time to extend the lead and take home a win. Ball one but the ball got past the catcher and Will steals home! He scores! The game is now 1-0 and everyone is hyped up even the fans. But we popped out after that.

It's the top of the fifth inning if they score we still have a chance to win if they don't we win! Beau is now pitching the close the game off. The first pitch is hit and it's deep but Riley catches it to get one out. The next pitch is thrown “ I want this ball “ I tell myself and sure enough a hard grounder is hit to me, I field it smoothly for the second out. Beau ends up walking the next guy. Two outs with a runner on first the count is 2-1, The ball is popped up high in the infield 

around second base. The whole infield surrounded the ball besides the pitcher and catcher. WIll is our shortstop and he called the ball so everyone backed off. The final out of the game was made, The Bombers win! Everyone was shocked because we were the underdogs coming into this game but it didn't stop us.

We shook hands with Lake City and most of them were crying, But we clapped for them and didn't laugh, we stayed humble. We stood on the foul line by our dugout for the award ceremony. Lake City got their medals first for taking second, some still sad. Then we got ours and take pictures for the paper, websites, and family of course.  After that, we went to the water park right behind the field and had a fun time. We saw some of the Lake City kids there too. We talked about the game and even made friends with a couple of them.

This was the game that showed me true sportsmanship, How to stay humble even after a huge win and not too let things get into my head which helps me now and will in the future. I am thankful for that game because I learned those key lessons that will impact myself and others around me.