The Worst Clarity | Teen Ink

The Worst Clarity

By Daisy8a BRONZE, Haltom City, Texas
Daisy8a BRONZE, Haltom City, Texas

I haven't had many major moments in my life but the important ones have stuck with me.
Although, I don't have strong emotions I try to feel change emotionally. Life is weird, you see death,
experience weird feelings, and learn lessons.

Last year in 2016, the day before the new year Victor, a close family friend, died. He had been
dealing with a medical issue that made his organs fill up with a fluid instead of doing its job. Our mom
would constantly pester us about calling or visiting him but we saw no reason to do so because he was
getting better, or so, we thought. There's this idiom "the calm before the storm" this describes that
morning perfectly. Me and my sister were watching T.V. when we heard a knock on the door 'Knock,
knock'. This seemed weird at first but after my sister saw who it was she opened the door. I was laying
down so I couldn't see who it was but I knew it was Tina, Victors "companion". When my sister finished
listening to Tina, she closed the door and looked at me. While crying she said "Victor died."

To be completely honest I only pretended to be deeply affected, I wanted to feel something but
as I said before my emotions aren't the strongest. The thing about having weak emotions is that you
have to pretend. In this situation this sucks because you want to cry for all the presents and trips that
were given to you, and how it won't happen again. It was like my strongest feeling was 'this sucks' and
'this really sucks'. Wait...that's not true I also had some anger. This is because later we learned Victor
had been hospitalized for a while and Tina hadn't told us. Even though she didn't tell us, I don't blame
her, it's probably more our fault but that doesn't matter anymore.

When my mom came home later that day and cried I started to realize something. Should we
have called him? After a few months I realized something. I should have called him. It's not fair of me to
say "we" because I could have called him even if my mom or sister didn't. But we can't go back in time,
all we can do is remember the memories and the lessons and keep them close. If you take away
anything from this take away that you shouldn't put things off because even though the futures ahead
it's not always certain