Nala: The Experience That Changed My Life | Teen Ink

Nala: The Experience That Changed My Life

November 1, 2016
By KKbubbles_12 SILVER, Charles City, Iowa
KKbubbles_12 SILVER, Charles City, Iowa
6 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Ahhh, my best friend, she’s comforting, always there when I need her, and she is a Snowshoe Siamese. She has the brightest blue eyes and fur as dark and soft as the night. That’s right, she’s a cat.  When I was about 3 or so, I got a new kitten. Her name is Nala, after the Lion King movie. She is my favorite cat, and for some reason I feel a connection with her. Now, this isn’t the story of her kittenhood, but 8 years later…


I was reading a book when I heard my mom call “Have you seen Nala?” she sounded worried. “No!” I replied, a little worried myself. Then I went downstairs to look for Nala with her. After we searched all of her favorite spots, the whole house, AND outside, just in case, I started crying. “Don't worry, she's probably just hiding from George.”(George is my other cat who is always attacking Nala, playfully, of course) I could tell my mom was trying to reassure me, but I wasn't buying it. Something wasn't right. Why wasn't Nala turning up? What if she wasn't ever going to come back? What of she's gone forever?


Over the next few days, Nala never showed. We decided to make flyers, posting her picture, our phone number, and what had happened, stating it very desperately.


I was very sad in my room, and I couldn't even begin to start thinking about my friend, Sydney Otto, coming over later tonight…


When my parents were about to leave for dinner with Sydney's parents, I asked my mom “Will you keep an eye out for Nala?” She said she would. When they left and Sydney came over, I wasn't going to worry about Nala the whole time we were together, so I decided to forget for the night.


When we were watching Netflix, the phone rang. RRR III NNN GGG!!! The person said he was Kirk. I had no idea who that was, and I almost hung up when he said “I think I found your cat.” I instantly knew it had to be the PAWs owner’s husband. I called my mom, and when they came home, I knew.


It was Nala!!


I started crying the second I touched her. She was only about three pounds, and she looked like a sack of bones. After all, 2 months can do a lot….


I was checking on her constantly on the first night, and guess what. She lived! YAY! The next day, we went to Waverly to get some medicine and special food for her.


After a few days, we had to leave for Texas for 2 weeks. TWO WEEKS! I was so worried, I just couldn't lose hope, though. I prayed every night, and when I got home, she was normal again! She looked like a normal cat again!


What I learned from this experience is that I should never lose hope, and believe in what you love.


Hope You Enjoyed!


The author's comments:

This piece really reflects my life, and to this day, Nala is still alive, although this happened 2 years ago.