The Road Towards Solo and Ensemble | Teen Ink

The Road Towards Solo and Ensemble

May 12, 2016
By Anonymous

My day had started like any other school day. It was Wednesday, so I was just trying to get myself through the rest of the week. I had Advanced Math first period so, safe to say, I was not dancing through the hallways singing High School Musical. I knew today was the day I was going to put all my hard work to the test. Unlike all the other girls in the same situation as me, I was not ecstatic about competition. I glanced at the clock to see it was 10:23. I had two minutes before chaos ensued and I would have to start getting ready. Bring. The shrill sound of the bell shook me out of my thoughts. I instantly felt Katy pulling me towards the bathroom to get changed into what she deemed our “don’t mess with us” competition clothes. I could see the door on the opposite side of the hall. I pondered how easy it would be to run the other way and neglect the competition and the fear that came with it. Luckily, Katy had a strong grip. She knew what I was thinking, so she gripped me tighter and gave me words of encouragement.


I did not eat lunch that day. I was too nervous to eat, too nervous to even sing. I pulled on my favorite stockings running my fingers over the familiar pattern of flowers embedded all over the stockings. I pulled on my favorite heels- black wedges laced up to my ankle. Unlike the other girls, I had no color in my outfit. I had no disdain for bright colors, but I felt comfort in wearing black. I felt I did not need bright clothing. The judge would see the bright colors that come from my voice. Applying my brightest red lipstick, I started going over every chord in my head to ensure I would not forget. Hearing the old door creak open, I look towards the entrance to see Ms. Blythe Reed at the door ushering us out the school. It was time. The five of us- Jolie, Sarah, Kady, Katie, and I- piled into the school van and headed for the competition. The entire ride there I pondered over everything that could go wrong. Every now and then I was pulled out of my thoughts by the sound of the girls badly singing old 70s songs, such as ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ and ‘Stayin Alive’. It shocked me how no one else seemed as nervous or worried as I was. How could they all just sit there singing terribly off key, laughing, and joking when we were about to go stand in front of a stranger and sing? Then, I saw the sign saying ‘Solo and Ensemble Festival’.


Pulling into the St. Martin’s parking lot, I felt even more nervous. Katie was the only on who understood why my face had gone pale white-well more pale white than usual. She turned towards me and asked, “He goes to school here doesn’t he?” I quietly answered, “Of course the competition would be at his school. Katie, I cannot deal with him and his drama today.” For me, this was the last straw. In my mind, it was a sign from God above that the day could not get any worse. The moment passed as he did. He did not say hello or wish me luck, even though I knew he was competing in the same competition I was. I just ignored him because I could not let seeing him throw me off my game. I politely said, “Good luck Ashton,” and made my way down the hall into the chapel.


I entered the chapel with nothing but my girls, my voice coach, and my fear. Even though it was a tiny chapel, I had never felt so intimidated by a single place. There was an old man sitting at a table in the middle of the pews. After every girl finally went, I knew I could not run. I had to face my fear, so I walked up, hearing the silent tap of my heels echoing behind me. I could smell the old wood on the pews and on the beams giving the chapel support. I could also taste the inside of my cheek as I nervously bit it. Once I heard the beginning chords of my piece being played, I got in the zone. Truthfully, I do not remember much about the performance. I only remember that after, I had this huge wave of relief wash over me. I was broken out of my trance by the applause of my friends and the judge. He gave me notes on how I can better my performance for next time. I walked out of the chapel with a new sense of confidence. I knew that if I could get through singing alone in front of a judge, I could do anything I set my mind to. It even gave me the confidence to set our difference aside and go up and talk to Ashton about his performance and what he has been up to lately. Thanks to the competition, I have become more confident in who I am and my talent. I looked at my friends and said, “Crank up the 70s music,” and Ms. Reed put on ‘We are the Champions’. It felt good walking out of St. Martin’s because I felt like we all really were champions. We had just faced our fears together and came out on top.