Life in a Six Pointed Star | Teen Ink

Life in a Six Pointed Star

May 4, 2015
By FromTheHeart14 PLATINUM, Roswell, Georgia
FromTheHeart14 PLATINUM, Roswell, Georgia
22 articles 5 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything happens for a reason."


My Jewish star necklace. It is a piece of jewelry that I proudly wear and cherish like no other. Why though? Why do I choose every morning to not put on another necklace, but this one?
?Towards the time of my Bat Mitzvah, I realized that I didn’t have a star to wear for the occasion. I was in Florida with my Bubbe spending the week, so we decided to look around for one. I wanted something that I could keep forever, that I could always wear, no matter what.  I found one and fell in love with the simplistic feel of it.
A small star, with blue stones as each of the six points.
?At the time, I don’t think I fully comprehended the importance of that Star of David. Until recently, it was just a star, just a necklace. I wear it every day. I put it on in the morning when I first wake up; I take it off just before bed each night. I wear it proudly all the time. For me to care so much about this simple piece of jewelry, I realized, it must mean something special to me.
?There is much significance to the six points and the two triangles that is accepted to be the true meaning. I personally hold each point to a meaning unique to myself, six treasures close to my heart.
?The first point is for my family. The people I spend all holidays with, the people whom without, I wouldn’t have the Jewish background that I do.
?Second are my friends. Though we all have different faiths and beliefs, we are all always there to support each other through the ups and downs of life.
?Etz Chaim, my synagogue, is third, a place that I spend many hours of my week at. It is an amazing community that has influenced my life for years, for whom I hold a special place in my heart for.
?Fourth, the torah and the history of the Jewish people. They are who shaped our religion into what it is today.
?Fifth is myself. For before I can devote my time to helping others in need, I have to make sure to take time for myself to be the strongest and happiest that I can be. A quote I love is this: It’s important to make someone happy, and it’s important to start with yourself.
?And finally, sixth is God. God, though I may not fully understand how much, is responsible for the life I am living as a young Jewish woman. He is in control of all I do, and all I have in my life. All that I have to be thankful for. He directs the path that my life takes. What I have in mind for my life may not be what He does, but in the end I know all will work out for the best. I am one triangle, and God is the other, to remind me that He is with me, that He is a part of me that can never be severed.

“For the mountains may move, and the hills be shaken, but my loyalty shall never move from you, nor my covenant of friendship be shaken   
–said the Lord, who takes you back in love.”
{Isaiah 54:10}


My identity as a Jewish person has everything to do with my Star of David.
I don’t just put this necklace on to tell people I am Jewish.
I put it on to tell myself that I am Jewish, that I should be proud of it.
And proud I am.