Relocating My Faith | Teen Ink

Relocating My Faith

By Xtina7 BRONZE, Beach Park, Illinois
Xtina7 BRONZE, Beach Park, Illinois

Swimmers were scattered around the gymnasium.  Most of them were exhausted from the meet that had just ended. Parents were packing up their belongings. My friend Megan and I had just come out of the locker room and were walking towards our parents. They were talking, so we gave them their space.
“Christina!,  Megan said, Let’s try this dance move I learned.” She had always been a bit of a show off.
She took my hands and we spun around at the same time. Easy. We did it three more times, spinning until both of our bodies faced one another. However, the last step we did, my left knee forgot to come with.
I lost my balance and fell to the ground with a loud thud. When I attempted to stand, there was a sharp pain. I looked down to my knee. It was not where it was supposed to be.
“Mommy!” I screamed..
My mother ran over to me and saw that the base of my knee was turned to a 90 degree angle and my entire body was shaking. She  said, “You're fine. Breathe. It is going to be okay.”
Within a few minutes my whole team had surrounded  me, paramedics had been called, and from the corner of my eye I could see Megan running out of the gym in fear.
I had broken bones prior to this, but never had a bone been so out of place. My coaches, friends, and parents were panicking. However, I found a comfort within myself and believed what my mother had said:  It was going to be okay.
The paramedics arrived with a gurney. Seconds later, they were giving me medication to numb the pain and examining my knee. They prepared the gurney. One paramedic stayed close to me and asked questions:  “How is it feeling? How did this happen? Are you feeling uncomfortable?”
They seemed like pretty stupid questions. After all, my knee was dislocated. I probably would’ve been giving him attitude with my eyes had I not been distracted by the sight of Megan’s brother Tyler.  He was kneeling in the corner, his hands pressed together. He was whispering into them. I couldn’t help but smile. When I was younger I was a practicing Catholic. I wasn’t very religious now, but Tyler praying for me was sweet.
The paramedics explained to me how they would lift me up and onto the gurney. One of the men moved his hands to lift my leg and get it into a boot. As he gently gripped my knee, there was a small pop. I didn’t feel any pain whatsoever. At first, I wasnt aware what happened. Then I looked down. My knee had popped back into place.
Everyone was in awe. The paramedics said they had never seen anything like it.
Even though my bone was in place, I was still  required to go to the hospital. They got me onto the gurney and wheeled me to the ambulance.
They closed the doors and I watched my friends wave goodbye to me from the window. I lifted my shaky hands and smiled, waving back as we drove away.
When we arrived at the hospital, they took X-rays and laid me down on a bed. It gave me time to think about how fast things could change in life. For the first time in my life, I believed there was something or someone looking out for me.

This is a true story in my life. This experienced changed my beliefs and my perspective on life in general.