Where'd You go? | Teen Ink

Where'd You go?

By Honeysuckle55 GOLD, Littleton, Colorado
Honeysuckle55 GOLD, Littleton, Colorado

It happened in a day. One second I was a free and innocent little kid who thought everyone survived cancer. The next I was realizing that not everything you wished or believed was reality. If everything little kids believed was real then they'd never grow up, they'd never realize that the world isn't as magical as it seems. Really it's a lot colder. When kids realize that, everything comes to a standstill because everything is no longer right in the world. An innocent little girl had to realize that the world isn't all magical and that people die, and that's just not right. In fifth grade I had that moment. There was this kid a grade below me who had gotten cancer a year before. He was the nicest kid and the best older brother to his sibilings. His whole family had some of the nicest people I had ever met. Thing is the whole time he had cancer I'd believed it'd be ok. In the back of my mind there was never even a doubt that he'd live through it and that afterword he'd look normal again. I mean i had a friend in second grade who had cancer. At the time I really had no idea what she'd been going through until she came to school with a fake leg and told us that she'd had a surgery. But she'd lived right? So she was fine. Nothing to worry about. Now here i was in fifth grade still believing that everyone would survive like her and that there was nothing to worry about, but then I was proved wrong. That day my class was told, i started out innocent. I was happy, care free/ I hadn't even given a thought about the kid with cancer. The principle was the one who had told my class. At first i thought something along the lines that our class had one something or there some other exciting news. Then the words came out. "Last night, Mason's body shut down while he was asleep. We were told this morning by his family  who was there when he passed." That's when the world stopped and took a moment as my innocence slipped from my grasp and fell away leaving me bare and vulnerable for a new whole in my heart to spread from the dispare inside me. Some people in my class weren't as shocked and hurt as I was. They were expecting it, but I wasn't the only person who lost a deep part of their innocence that day. I admit i did. The loss hit me hard and I cried hard because he was gone and had taken a piece of our whole school's innocence with him. Do you get what I'm trying to say? When he died part of my innocence died with him. One second I believed that good things always came to the good and the next I'm realizing that the world isn't all happy endings. I hope that this hasn't crushed to much of your innocence, keep a hold of all of the innocence you have left. Once you lose it, you can't get it back. It's gone. The thing is sometimes you have to lose innocence or else you will be stuck in a non real world and sometimes that'll hurt you worse. Losing innocence soemtimes  hurts and it feels like part of your sould is being wrenched froom you and it'll hurt, but only for a couple of weeks. In the end it might even save you. I don't know if mine "saved" me but it helped me at the very least gain a new prospective.