Splitsville | Teen Ink

Splitsville

By Grace Foster SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Grace Foster SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Did you know that every 36 seconds, there is a divorce? If you ask me, that’s a lot of couples that don’t work out. My parents were sadly caught up in second 36. Why? I guess I will never know the whole story, but they were very opposite of each other. They just found that out a bit too late. When I thought about a significant thing in my life, this is the first thing that popped into my head. Throughout this essay I’m going to be explaining how I dealt with it and how I coped with the fact that I was no longer a regular kid that has one happy family.

This all happened when I was about five. I didn’t get the whole idea because I didn’t understand what a divorce was. After a couple of years living at two separate houses, that’s when I finally got the hint. When it first happened it didn’t go over well, I was sad, my parents were sad watching my brother and I move houses every couple days, and it was all still really confusing. The worst part was we didn’t have any friends with divorced parents, so we felt like we were cut off and not “normal”. The whole house situation and moving was really weird for me and the thought of a new mom or new dad was weird too.
After a few years of living with both mom and dad in separate houses, it got a lot easier. On February 16th, 2008 my dad got married again to a lady he met at work. Of course I hated the idea that I was going to have a new mother figure, but she’s not like that at all. She never tried to take the place of my mom, so I really like her and respect her for that. After my dad got married we bought a new house, and we still live there today. Now my mom on the other hand lived in 4 houses before we found one that worked and that we liked, and after about 5 years we still live in it, and we really like it.
Like I said before, my mom has had a few boyfriends that didn’t work out, but about 4 years ago she met a guy and they are still together today. He’s really nice and supportive of my sports I do and the choices I make, so that’s really nice of him. If I need anything he tries to help and be is really nice to my mom. He also helps a lot around the house. He actually just built a shed in our backyard so we have enough room for our cars in the garage. Cooking is also another thing he does a lot and he’s really good at it. It’s fun watching him because I know I couldn’t do it as fast as him. He also understood my routine of when I move back and forth unlike some other people.
It’s confusing to most people when I tell them my routine of when I switch houses. I stay at my dads for two days then two days at my moms and they switch weekends. One thing I absolutly hate saying is “Sorry I can’t, I’m at my moms.” or “I’m at my dads.” and most people probably understand why, its kind of embarrassing, and I never want my kids to have to say that to their friends, because I know how it feels. Another kind of confusing thing for my friends and I is that each house has a very different environment. My dad’s is more strict and my mom’s is not very strict. I kind of like having two different houses because if i get in trouble at one of them, by the time I get back from the other one, they’re over it by then. Most people just live the same life everyday, but mine is different every two days, and I’ve learned to like it; It makes my life not boring.
I’ve come along ways dealing with the fact that my parents are divorced. From the day that it happened to today. Each house has their ups and downs and not a day in my life has been the same, and thats good I think. I’m still a normal kid, but I just have un normal houses and parents. Maybe it wasn’t such a bad thing after all that my parents were number 36. Everything happens for a reason, right?