Life Shatters | Teen Ink

Life Shatters

December 5, 2014
By Hope Stahlman BRONZE, Olney, Illinois
Hope Stahlman BRONZE, Olney, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“I realize that I live on the bubble of insanity; I feel the weight of human suffering, loneliness, and despair on me all the time. It’s not getting any easier; if anything, it’s always right on the edge of my skin” said Erwin McManus. Ever since late February, and early March of 2012, I havefelt this way. My very own father told my mother that he loved her, but wasn’t ‘in love’ with her. Much like Helen Keller overcame the obstacle of not being able to communicate, I, at the age of twelve, had to deal with the obstacle of my parents’ separation, only to lead to an event a year later- their divorce.

Helen Keller had to overcome the obstacle of not being able to communicate, besides touching her cheek for her mother. It was not her fault, for when she was barely two years old, due to an illness, she became blind and deaf. Instead of sending Helen to an asylum, as Captain Keller had planned, they hired Annie Sullivan to teach her languages, and manners. Annie, over time, was able to teach Helen trust, obedience, and language to overcome her obstacle.

Like Helen Keller, I, too, had to overcome an obstacle. My obstacle was, and still currently is, my parents’ divorce and separation. If it were not for that, however, I may not have had the same friends, hobbies, and interests I do now. I have came a long way regarding how much I’ve overcame, although I still struggle today. As far as an end goes, I am not sure if I have reached it yet, but if I have, it has gone surprisingly well. “Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light” said Helen Keller.

Although our obstacles were vastly different, we have many similarities. For example, we both strive to do our best even though the events affected our lives greatly. Second, Helen and I are both eager to learn more, and we tend to absorb new information quickly. I havedefinitely been inspired by her, and was able to relate to her struggles.

Similar to Helen’s obstacle, I too overcame my own, as you read prior to this statement. I learned not to take what I have for granted, because it is bound to disappear. What I learned from my own experience was that I cannot change what happened in the past, no matter how much I want to, but I can grow stronger from it and use it for my benefit; I should not use it as a crutch. “Black and white are the colors of photography. To me, they symbolize the alternatives of hope and despair to which mankind is forever subjected” said Robert Frank.