Life of a Teen | Teen Ink

Life of a Teen

By rachelstillwell GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky
rachelstillwell GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky

In a school, people see you differently. They judge you by looks and how you dress. The way you tuck your shirt in or even the way you put your belt on. These silly things can sometimes get to us though. Some of these things we can also just brush off our shoulders and make it as a joke. As a diabetic, things are way different. I am a type one diabetic at my school. People give looks and say things that crush me. Others say things that give me hope. Hope to move on and push through this disease leaving all the negative things behind. But some may not know, things that have been said has stuck with me forever.

When you see someone in your school that is different, don’t say anything cruel to them or behind their back. One way or another it is going to get to them whether you meant it to or not. After I successfully got an awareness day for type one diabetes, everyone was in shock when I walked passed them in the hallway. Some people would say, “I thought she was dead.” Others would say, “I don’t think she would last much longer.” I hear these things and they get to me. Some of the things are not as bad though. Some people would come up to me and tell me to stay strong, or tell me I can get through this. It leaves me with hope. With this hope in my head and heart, I will continue to help others who need it, and you should too.