The Twins | Teen Ink

The Twins

October 4, 2014
By Anonymous

I woke up to the waves rolling into the shore and swaying the houseboat in a relaxing rhythm. The birds were chirping and I could hear fish jumping to catch the bugs resting on the water’s surface. The smell of bacon made my mouth water and it was almost as though I could taste it. As my grandpa exclaimed, “Good morning, my bundles of joy” Cienna and I came running down the hall. That was just the beginning of all our happiness while we were making everlasting memories.I remember it like it was yesterday. We had our flip flops flopping as we walked across the upper deck. Our fishing pole lines were patiently waiting at the bottom of Shasta Lake for a fish to grab a hold of the hook. The smell of sunscreen and watermelon danced across our nose every second throughout the day.“Want to jump off the top?” my sister shouts with excitement.I immediately reply, “Yes! Don’t we always?”We zip our lifejackets up, get our towels ready, and hop right into the chilled water of the lake. There was absolutely no hesitation of jumping off the second deck of the large houseboat, into very deep waters. It felt like time stopped, and it was just her and I in our own world of relaxation and stress free fun. Her endless smile made things one hundred times better. Spending time with family is a necessity. I couldn’t even begin to imagine what life would be like without my twin sister. She is for sure someone that has had an impact on who I am today. I look up to her as a role model, and she is always there for me no matter what. During our vacation over that summer, my heart had a feeling of completion and relief, and it continues to feel that way to this day.Another meaningful event that occurred in my life with my sister was the first day of high school. I remember walking onto campus excited, yet nervous. I am sure she was feeling the same. We were chewing anxiously on the mint gum in our mouth. The smell of new clothes, perfume, cologne, and school lunches filled the air. The sight of everyone laughing and talking about their summer made us feel jealous, due to the fact that we did not know anyone.My sister stood by my side throughout the day comforting me and calming my nerves. Suddenly, it hit me. Certain friends will come and go in your life, but my sister has been and still is my everlasting, never leaving friend.In conclusion, numerous events have occurred in my life that have had an enormous impact. These two aren’t even close to half of the ones that took place with my twin sister. I am so thankful for her and our friendship. I couldn’t imagine what life would be like without her by my side all the time. We may have our ups and downs, but they are all pieces to the puzzle that lead to a greater, beautiful picture. Margaret Mead once said, “Sister is probably the most competitive relationship within the family, but once the sisters are grown, it becomes the strongest relationship.” Through thick and thin she is always there for me. I feel like we are at the stage where our relationship is getting stronger and stronger, every time anything ever happens. I could not ask for a better sister and could not ask for a better past spent with her.


The author's comments:

I hope that people read my narritive and understand that time flies and we are only going to live this life once. Why not make it the  best and the most memberable? No regrets or "take-backs".