Guide to Meeting A Homeschooler | Teen Ink

Guide to Meeting A Homeschooler

By Outcast4God PLATINUM, Farmersville, Texas
Outcast4God PLATINUM, Farmersville, Texas

"When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars you have set in place-- what mortals that you should think of us. Mere humans that you should care for us.
---Psalms 8:3-4

Why pick on homeschoolers? What makes them so different? I mean, we're people too. We are just the same as you, only we don't have to get up at 6am, and then sit in classrooms with uncomfortable chairs for 40 hours every week. Instead, we get to lay in bed, in our P.J.'s, doing our schoolwork. And let me tell you... that is awesome! So why do you think you're so much better than us? Why does that give you some right to mock us, and laugh at us?

Another thing: why is it you always ask us stupid questions, like "Oh, you're homeschooled?...... What's 1+1?"? Okay, seriously? Just because we're homeschooled doesn't mean we're stupid. Actually, many homeschoolers are ahead of public schoolers. I'll use myself as an example. I'm 15, and I'm a junior. I'm going to graduate when I'm 17, as did my friend Hannah. So don't just assume that someone who doesn't go to public school is stupid and needs extra help.

Homeschoolers are complete social lepers. We have no idea who Katy Perry is, or what the latest trends are, so don't ask us about stuff like that!!!....... yeah, no. We don't live under a rock. We have computers, t.v., magazines, etc. Just because we don't know what so-and-so was wearing the other night, or who hooked up with whom doesn't mean we can't carry on a simple conversation. We happen to be very aware about pop culture and fashion trends.

We are not all church freaks, and homeschool to keep away from the "sinful people of the world". Sure, we're more likely to be regular church attendees. But that doesn't mean we don't want to associate with any other people. Sure, some people homeschool for religious reasons, and I'm not saying that that's a bad reason to homeschool. I'm just saying it's not the only reason. So don't avoid us like the plague because you're scared we're going to lecture you on your sinful behavior.

Do me a favor: the next time you meet a homeschooler, don't ask what's wrong with them, or make fun of them. Just say........ TAKE ME WITH YOU!

EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

Will. do. :) Thanks you, and you're welcome. :)

---Psalms 8:3-4

Thanks MissEmilyDickinson! That means a lot. I love to write, and my friends tell me that I'm good, but most of the time I just think that they're just saying that. So it's really nice to hear that someone else appreciates it! Homeschooling really is amazing! And, yes that makes sense. While we have our differences, we also have our similarities! I hope to add onto this sometime soon. If you ever get a chance, check out Messy Mondays: 7 Lies About Homeschoolers. I think they have two of them (they're on youtube). Really funny and really true! Thanks for the feedback!

So true, haha. -_- :) Homeschoolers aren't diiferent besides having the exception that they can we can stay in pj's, sleep in, and do our school almost, any time at home. Besides those differences, homeschoolers aren't that different. Homeschoolers still do school. There's differences, but they're not bad differences. Other people shouldn't pick on homeschoolers because of that. And it's true. Most homeschoolers are are often ahead of public scholers. All in all, being doesn't have its differences and at the same time it does. Haha, if that makes sense. Being home-schooled is awesome. :) I totaly agree with you. You really have such a talent and greatness in you; believe that because you do. I love how you write. You're a wonderful and amazing writer and person. Thank you so, so much for sharing this. I love it. :) Thanks again.