Don't Look, Just Keeping Walking | Teen Ink

Don't Look, Just Keeping Walking

By Huntyr_Skylar BRONZE, Hemet, California
Huntyr_Skylar BRONZE, Hemet, California

"To those of you in the world looking for a solution, I don't have it. But I do have hope. It does get better eventually, you just gotta wait a long time." -Hunter Hayes

Don't look, just keep walking. Left. Right. Left. Right. Sounds of laughter and soft giggles filled my ears. Don't look, just keep walking. Left. Right. Left. Right. The laughter doesn't go away. It stays there, piercing through my brain, the sound intensifying with every step. Don't look, just keep walking. Left. Right. Left. Right. The laughter is back, but it isn't alone. It's accompanied by name calling. They both play and joke around me. Pointing at my flaws, pointing at me. Their stinging words cut me sharp like a knife in the heart. I close my eyes to keep the moisture back. But don't look, just keep walking. Left. Right. Left. Right. The laughter still rings, the words still cut me deep, but more has come to join their game. They push, an shove, and spit at me. The names become meaner, the laughter becomes more evil. Don't look, just keep walking. Left. Right. Left. Right. One push sends me to the floor, but I'm not the only thing that has fallen. The tears trickle down my face. I can't keep it back anymore. I can't hold it in. More laughter. More names. The world swirls around me, too much in a blur to grasp. I get back up. Don't look, just keep walking. I walk faster now. Left. Right. Left. Right. Left. Right. When can I stop running? When can I finally look up? When can I stare the laughter straight in the face and make it hush quiet? When can I say something to make the name callings go away? When can I stand up, and make the tripping, the shoving, the pushing stop? When? No, Not today. But someday. But don't look, just keep walking. Left. Right. Left. Right