Dark To Light | Teen Ink

Dark To Light

By madiioo SILVER, Mtc, Illinois
madiioo SILVER, Mtc, Illinois

My sighting of what I call inspirational or meaningful music, changed my life completely. By this time, it was close to the end of summer 2013. I had been feeling really depressed and honestly, I didn’t know why. I was always tired and I never wanted to come out of my room. This went on for awhile. I soon realized that music was my rock.

I will never forget the feeling while I sat there in that cold, dark room, thinking of my every aspect in life. The past, the present the future. What would become of me and my friends and the stress from school. All of it was just building up. Making me feel as if I was falling to pieces. I was on the verge of completely breaking. I would always think of the lyrics of songs that would help me cope. Such as the song Breathe Me by Sia:

“Be my friend
Hold me, Wrap me up
Unfold me
I am strong and needy
Warm me up
And breathe me”.

During all this unhappiness I was feeling, I soon found out that one of my favorite bands, My Chemical Romance, had broken up. I thought back to the quote by the lead singer, Gerard Way, “when this band is done I want to be remembered not as the band that rocked or was huge, but one that made a difference in many people’s lives”. Well they sure as hell rocked, but they truly did make a difference in many people’s lives, including mine. If only I could thank them.

What made my situation worse was the school work, especially math. I was struggling and it was only the beginning of this school year. I had never gotten a low grade before on a midterm or a report card. I was stressed out! Thinking about this only made matters worse. I was trying everything I could to do better. I studied harder. I took notes in class. I even asked for a little extra help. But, nothing seemed to help. I felt like I would never amount to anything. I felt like I was never going to be good enough.

Even though everything was pretty much sucking for me, music was there. I would never be able to go through life without music. I’ll always know that when life starts to suck, music will always be there. The way not even a friend or a parent could be there. Some people say “how can music save your life?”, well what people don’t realize is that the lyrics of a song can have a relation to what someone is going through. For me Welcome To My Life by Simple Plan fits my life. All lyrics have a meaning and can turn someone’s life from dark to light.

My life wouldn't be complete without music. Music is my rock. It is my everything. Music is my best friend. I have no idea what I would do without it. If you ever feel down, listen to music.