A Second Look at Nature | Teen Ink

A Second Look at Nature

By camatuzzo GOLD, New City, New York
camatuzzo GOLD, New City, New York

Hakuna Matata

As I stept outside into the natural world, I gain a sense of freedom. I suppose it was from the lack of technology around me. All i can hear is the wind whistling in my ears, the occasional car passing by, carrying passengers to their destinations, and my neighbor's waterfall in the distance. The sound of trickling water is soothing because it relaxes my mind and helps me to forget any thoughts that happen to be buzzing through my mind. All I can see, as far as i can see, are woods, filed with colorful leaves - yellow, orange, green, and red - decorating the otherwise bland forest. I can smell the scent of a distant fire, someone barbecuing a late dinner, and the dampness in the air, lurking from a sun shower that had occurred earlier in the day.

The cool breeze dances past my nose as it blows by, traveling on and on for all eternity, carrying not only the scent of wintertime, which will all too soon be upon us, but also the fallen leaves, that have made their way down from their home up among the trees to the cold, dewy grass. These leaves vary in color; some still colorful from their time spent upon their tree, while others have turned brown, due to their lack of nurture. But that's just the natural cycle; the leaves that have fallen today will decompose by the time the first snowflake falls and will once again be reborn as a new bud on the first day of spring. The escape from technology was extremely soothing and a nice change - changing the way I viewed nature and everything in it.

Transcendentalism