My Best Friend | Teen Ink

My Best Friend

By Chaylabruhh SILVER, Oakland, California
Chaylabruhh SILVER, Oakland, California

My best friend is the craziest, weirdest, and most insane and amazing person I know. She is obsessed with birds (she has 4 by the way and she treats them as if they were her babies). She likes reading about epidemiology and she draws the most deranged, disgusting and horrifying creatures I have ever seen. She might not be the sharpest knife on the table or the person I get along with the best but she is my best friend and I love her with all my heart.

I met my best friend in 6th grade. We didn’t really know each other or know each other then I knew her as the spazzy weirdo who wore the same big blue jacket every day. She probably knew me as the awkward kid with a bob. We never talked or had classes together. We were both bizarre in our own ways and crazy like most 6th graders were. I never would have expected that she would later become my best friend, and I don’t think she did either. We were the unlikely yet totally perfect for each other pair. I just wish we realized it sooner.

The first time we really socialized was near the end of 6th grade. It was after the school raffle and we were the only ones left (aside from Wanlin who was one of my best friends at the time). I was sitting on the bench talking to Wanlin when Julia came over (her and Wanlin were friends). We started talking and we realized that we had a lot in common and that this could be a magnificent friendship. Wanlin, my best friend and later decided to have some fun. To us then fun meant running over to the side lawn, playing tag, and screaming the most peculiar things like “Yo quiero taco bell!” and “Oh my gosh, this is so much fun!”. We screamed at the top of the lungs and didn’t care what anyone else thought. We were oddballs and we knew it. That’s when I envisaged the friendship that lied ahead of us. The one that I hope will last a lifetime or longer.

My best friend and I have always had completely different friend groups. I never really fit in with her friends and she never really fit in with mine. In school we barely talked, I mean we never really had a chance to since we didn’t have any classes together or any mutual friends. We had our first class together in 7th grade. The Octagons! I loved Octagons so much because I got to be with my best friend. We weren’t exactly best friends then but I always enjoyed being around her and her craziness. We sat at the same table in science which was a bad move on Maria Fay’s part because we couldn’t stop talking. I found myself always cracking up and having a fantastic time with her. I loved that table group.

The first time we hung out outside of school I went to her house. I remember thinking about how cute and whimsical her house was. I looked like it could have come out of a fairy tale. It was orange-ish red on the outside and on the inside there were tons of paintings of beautiful butterflies and mystical creatures. I loved it! I wanted to stay there forever. Her family was so nice to me. I thought it was the coolest thing ever that her parents let her have a dog, a cat, and two birds! I remember being freaked out by her bird because it tried to bit me when I attempted to pick it up.

That day was amazing. We decided to run around the streets near her house. It was so much fun! We danced and sat in the middle of streets and screamed at the top of our lungs. We acted like total idiots and I’m pretty the people driving by thought we had serious problems. Then we went down to her old school and played around on these spinning things that I loved. We didn’t care what people thought of us. We were ourselves around each other. We brought out the best in one another. This became a tradition for us. Every time we hang out the first thing that comes to our minds is just acting like insane people. Hmm now that’s a great thing to want to be.

During the summer between 7th and 8th grade was when our bond got the strongest. We were barely seen without each other except for when I had camp or she had Taekwando. When she came over to my house we would dance to blasting music or walk down to Montclair. In Montclair we would maybe share some type of caffeinated drink and walk around or slide on the skateboard ramp in the park or meet up with some other friends. People always asked us if we were sisters. I guess people think we look alike. I don’t see it. We would say no and then start cracking up. Sometimes we would watch a movie or just hang out and talk. One time when she was over we had danced our butts off and wanted to get some fresh air. We wanted to ride bikes or skooters around but we failed to find any. We ended up finding these old wooden platforms with wheels on the bottom. We rode down Beau Forest Drive (the street below my street that is extremely steep!) until the wheels broke off and my shoes had been worn down to the stubs from trying to stop. After a few minutes of pondering what to do next my best friend whips out her Ipod and we start dancing wildly under the stars.

This year (8th grade) we have all classed together. I told her the day we found out all our classes that we had all our classes together. A few months into school she still asks what my class groupings are. “What class are you going to Chay?” she would ask me. “The same one as you,” I’d respond. “Oh yeah! We have all classes together don’t we?” she would say clulessly. “Yeah. And its only taken you three months for you to figure it out.” I’d scoff then walk away. I think the teachers have realized that they shouldn’t put us at the same table if you want you class to be quiet. We always have something to talk about.

My best friend is the craziest, weirdest, and most insane and amazing person I know. She is obsessed with birds (she has 4 by the way and she treats them as if they were her babies). She likes reading about epidemiology and she draws the most deranged, disgusting and horrifying creatures I have ever seen. She might not be the sharpest knife on the table or the person I get along with the best but she is my best friend and I love her with all my heart. I think that that is the reason we get along together so well. We can be our corky selves around each other because we know were weird and we embrace our weirdness. I wouldn’t be the person I am today without her. She taught me to be proud of who I am. I don’t think she realizes how much of an impact she has had on my life. She is a part of me now and I hope I never lose my best friend, Julia because my life would never be the same without her.

I love my best friend to death. This one is for her...

Quratulain BRONZE, Karachi, Other

"Love is what is left in the relationship when selfishness has been taken out."

This is a beautiful piece!I loved the part in which you described the fun that you had with Julia.May God bless you both and may your friendship lasts long<3