An Author's Life | Teen Ink

An Author's Life

March 2, 2013
By AWriterOfWords DIAMOND, Hamburg, New Jersey
AWriterOfWords DIAMOND, Hamburg, New Jersey
59 articles 13 photos 9 comments

“What do you want to be when you grow up?” is a common question among adults to children, the future generation of the country. It seems there is a high-level answer these adults and also fellow students expect, otherwise it is frowned upon.
When I replied to the question, I did so without thought, letting my heart use my voice to express its passion, “I want to be an author.” My answer, was one of those answers frowned upon, as it was not overly ambitious or help the future of the country. Each person, always have a different reaction but one that usually has a negative connotation to express their dislike of my choice of how to live my life. I have gotten many responses such as:
“Authors don’t get paid anything to live off of! How do you expect to get by?”
“That’s not a career, that’s a hobby.”
“I see you as more of a doctor who would be able to help people, rather than fill up a page that hardly anyone will read.”
“Wouldn’t you rather do something more successful with your life?”
“Are you sure? Reading is a dying art form.”
And my absolute favorite: “Why would you want to do that?”
It’s not that I want to be famous and a billionaire such as J.K. Rowling or Stephanie Meyer; it’s not that I want to become rich; it’s not that I want my name to be known. I write to express, not to impress. I have these characters within my head and would hate for their voices to never be expressed. I am not a sole mind, but rather one filled with lots of thoughts.
In a certain manner, I am already an author because I write. An author does not necessarily need to be famous, just have others read their work. So despite my young age, I am already an author. I write to tell a story; I write to escape; I write to help others; I write to find pleasure within my life.
What other job could be so great? Whatever job you are passionate about should be the one you follow despite what anybody else says; therefore, I will never change my answer and I will be an author until I die.