There Is No Such Thing as Love at First Sight | Teen Ink

There Is No Such Thing as Love at First Sight

February 10, 2013
By nikiiiZ GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
nikiiiZ GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
12 articles 0 photos 6 comments

I don't believe in the phrase "Love at first sight," unless we are discussing a chocolate flowerless cake. Otherwise, I refuse to believe that anyone can truly experience the powerful emotion of love just through a quick glance at some gorgeous guy.

Most people associate love with the actual emotional aspects: butterflies in your stomach when you see him, knowing that you can trust him with your deepest darkest secrets, acting completely immature and loving every minute of it. That's love.

The phrase should go something like "Lust at first sight." You don't actually know if you love that person; he could be a complete jerk for all you know! But bottom line is, he's probably this beautiful creature. His hair is sexy, his eyes are bright and filled with wonder, his teeth are pearly white, and he's got a great body. You're in love with his appearance. If love meant lust in any way, then yes, this would be "love at first sight."

I'm not being a "Debbie Downer" here; I'm being practical. You can't love someone until you really know them. That's why I laugh whenever I see teenagers and their sappy posts on Facebook that go along the lines of "Happy one month anniversary baby, I love you so much and I will love you forever!" Yeah, okay...I'm thinking that her definition of forever and my definition of forever are complete opposites.

My purpose in writing this is to try and persuade all you love-seeking teenagers out there to be practical. Don't fall head over heals for someone who physically looks good but has many personality flaws. You'll be much happier with a guy who knows how to treat you right. And please, I'm begging you, do not claim that you are in love after being together for a month or two. You know as well as I do that you aren't experiencing love; don't force yourself to think that saying "I love you" will make this guy love you automatically. With time, things will play out (hopefully well), and then that is when you'll know what love feels like.