dEAR mOTHER | Teen Ink

dEAR mOTHER

By Swagata SILVER, Jamshedpur, Other
Swagata SILVER, Jamshedpur, Other

Time is the utmost essence of life

A small gesture can go miles in improving relationships.One smile,one unnecessary call to just check on someone can mend broken ties.I experienced this recently as after a gap of nearly one and a half months a call from my side helped improve things between me and my mother.We barely talk.We have never been able to connect t o each other mentally or emotionally much.At times she has been an embarrassment in my life as well and something i would have liked to be changed.And yes she has proved it on several occasions that that what i have mentioned above ain’t wrong.i never found it easy to share my ideas,views with her or even confide in her .She was always an outsider in my life.Ever since i left home for college this weak bond further weakened as none of us made any efforts to strengthen it.Probably she tried a little but with no response from the other end probably gave up like many others. Whenever dad called she never made an attempt to talk to me resigning to the situation. or probably our mutual egos never allowed us to do anything . There was a point when I even wanted to cut her out of my life but then at the end of the day she was my mother: was that possible at all.Slowly as we further drifted apart her irritatingly same queries through my dad that was “whether the food is good or not” to dried up.Probably i was managing to do what i wanted but was it making me happy my success.It was not that i wanted her to become my best friend or suddenly gain importance in my life or anything like that. I just wanted our broken relationship itself back .I never wanted anything better.I wanted her to have that same not so significant role in her lives with just those occasional inquiries about how was the food and that's all.Nothing more nothing less but nevertheless i wanted it.It was then that is when i had succeeded that i decide to aspire for a taste of defeat by making a phone call.She received my call .A bit surprised she was on having heard my voice after so many days but then couldn’t hide her joy as well.She managed her usual inquiries about whether the food was good or not and then about my health than we hung up.The call lasted less than a minute but it gave me a weird sense of relief.Now we are back to the same old routine. When my dad calls me up i can hear her asking about my health and I GUESS THAT’S ALL I WANT...........