The Oral Exam for IELTS | Teen Ink

The Oral Exam for IELTS

March 19, 2012
By TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
TaurusGal GOLD, Hong Kong, Other
13 articles 25 photos 107 comments

Without any preparation, I simply dashed into the waiting room 919 in Regal Kowloon Hotel. I have heard that the Oral Exam for IELTS focuses on confidence the most. My friend said, 'Just chill out... Pretend you are just talking with the foreigner casually.' That instant, I calmed myself and treated it as a impromptu. Well... Things got different when I really did that examination.
Craving for Level 7 which is the standard to get in the Institute of Education (not sure whether it's true)to become an English teacher, I became brave and was ready to face my "battle". I headed towards the room 910 with a lady who appeared to be the examiner. To my surprise, she was not as friendly as I thought. My whole body was stiff. You could tell from the expression of her eyes that she was serious. Her face sometimes frowned, which makes me suspicious of my speaking ability.
After answering one question, another comes up immediately. I kind of panicked and repeated some of the words,especially the topics I was not familiar with. It was more like an interview than the so called "casual speaking". I did not make any expressions with my face neither ups and downs with my voice. Normally, I put on a British accent in my examinations but not this time. I could tell she was British and I was afraid that she would find out my accent was fake. Actually, I slept at 3:00AM(not feeling well) that day before, so I was not doing my best.
In the end, it all comes to destiny. I was not totally disappointed with myself. At least I tried to answer all of her questions and did some hand movements as a gesture. I have no one to blame, not me, my friend or the examiner. Everyone has their own ways of doing and feeling. I just hope I can get a Level 7 but if I can't make it, I will treat this as an experience of learning English. You know, everything can be out of our expectation. That's life.