Chocolaty Goodness | Teen Ink

Chocolaty Goodness

January 16, 2012
By EPluribusUnum DIAMOND, Woodbine, Maryland
EPluribusUnum DIAMOND, Woodbine, Maryland
59 articles 24 photos 280 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head)."
-Sylvia Plath


Milk chocolate, it comes in every shape, size, and color under the sun. Each brand has it's own distinct flavor and style. We decided to sample four different brands of milk chocolate to find the most delicious, and the most beautiful. They are Hershey's, Cadbury, Godiva, and World's Finest, and we will be evaluating them based on taste, density, size, wrapper design (no one likes a cheap wrapper), and the design of the chocolate bar itself. Which brand of chocolate contains the most chocolaty goodness? Time to find out.

First up is Cadbury. The wrapper is simple and pretty, double wrapped with purple on the outside and a silver inner layer. It has an appetizing picture of chocolate on the front as well as milk splashing out of a glass, forming the words “Dairy Milk.” Just looking at it makes me crave a tall glass of ice cold milk with my chocolate bar.

I eagerly rip off the wrapper to reveal a large chocolate bar, divided into many neat, tidy squares. I break off a chunk and pop it into my mouth, but I am unprepared for the sweet creamy goodness that instantly envelopes my tongue. Surely this is the creamiest, thickest chocolate I have ever eaten. My one and only issue is the sweetness, it's almost fruity. Is that good or bad? I'm undecided.

Next up is World's Finest Chocolate, not the most humble of names. The wrapper sure doesn't look like much, just a mundane chocolate bar. It's double wrapped. The inside foil is rather nice, with “World's Finest” printed all over it, but the outside wrapper is boring. Plain white with loopy, navy blue lettering on the front, nothing fancy.

The bar is long and narrow, and when I open it I am pleasantly surprised by the inner design of the chocolate. Four dark, delicate squares, each with a a word from the brand (or the brand logo), beg to be tasted. And tasted they are. Sweet, but not too sweet, World's Finest turns out to be even thicker than Cadbury, and far more chocolaty. Yum!

Third is Godiva. This formal chocolate already carries great expectations, but can it live up to them? The wrapper is beautiful, full of warm, metallic colors. Double wrapped with copper colored paper on the inside and a scrumptious illustration on the outer layer, this bar looks like a sure winner.

Under the wrapper is another long and thin chocolate bar, this one sophisticated with a capital G on each square. The first bite is anti-climatic. Oh it's pretty sweet, but that's about the only flavor. It doesn't even taste like chocolate. Also, you tend to expect good chocolate to be to some degree melty. This is the polar opposite of melty. Definitely a disappointment.

The final chocolate bar is Hershey's, another big brand. It's not much to look at on the outside, cheaply wrapped in some kind of plastic. The familiar silver lettering on the front brings back memories of past Halloween goodies and s'more toppings.

The actual chocolate bar is spread out to look much bigger then it actually is. Each of the pretty rectangles has a label. It doesn't look any more impressing on the inside than on the outside, but I'm overwhelmed by the familiar flavor of pure chocolate and sugar when I take a bite. The chocolate’s beautifully melty. Still, it feels gritty on my tongue.

The chocolates have been tasted and it's time to decide on a winner. Godiva definitely comes in last, a bland disappointment. Third place goes too Hershey's. A sweet treat for sure, but also a bit cheap. Maybe the grittiness comes from all the sugar. First and second place are neck to neck. Cadbury rules the roost in the outer wrapper department, but World's Finest has a fancy inner wrapper. Cadbury was bigger, but World's Finest had such pretty squares. And they were both so good. We confer for a moment, then finally name a winner. The best chocolate is...World's Finest!


The author's comments:
This was a lot of fun. Probably my favorite assignment ever!