Letting Go | Teen Ink

Letting Go

By clumsyteardropper SILVER, Roslyn, Pennsylvania
clumsyteardropper SILVER, Roslyn, Pennsylvania

"You can't help others, if you yourself need help" -my sister ;) love it!

I hold the one I love before it’s time for them to go… that last embrace. I grip on tight, as if to make sure that feeling will stay with me until their return. But I know I must release them. “If you love something, set it free” as they say. But why must they leave my hands as if they were butterflies, just carelessly flittering away, beyond my view? Before they go, I practically memorize their face so I’ll never forget. At the exchanging of farewells, I almost record their voice in my mind. I look in their eyes as I fight back the tears in mine.
When they’re gone, I struggle as I try to remember what that hug was like as the sensation leaves my body. What they were like. I go insane as I almost start to forget their face from the absence, no matter how close the friend. No piece of paper with ink that mimics their face will ever help to fill the void between us. I shake as the acknowledgment, that I’ve been torn apart from the one that has always been considered family to me, begins to sink in.
Why can’t those feelings, that embrace, come back to me? Why can’t they come back? Why did I ever let go?

I wrote this reflecting on times that I had to say goodbye to dear friends I wouldn't be seeing for a long time.

Aw, why thank you! :) I'm glad that people do and can relate to this... that's one of the great parts of writing :D Thanks again, I'll check out some of your work ;)

isimplywish BRONZE, Christchurch, Other
this is really good!!! I know how you feel, I'm always trying to imprint certain memories in my mind, especially if I know I won't see that person in a long time. But somehow, I always lose details that I so badly need in my mind. I start minorly freaking out if I start to forget their face, which often seems to happen. Before I know it, I've forgotten the colour of their eyes or what their hand felt like when I held it in mine or something like that. I can completely relate to what you're saying! Lovely work by the way, beautifully written. Love the butterfly bit, true beauty and talent there :) Keep writing!

TubaLady DIAMOND, Athens, Michigan

"I know how it feels to be completely alone and helpless, and the last thing you want to hear in that situation is, 'It's going to be OK. ' The only thing that seems to really help is that someone else who has felt that low expressing those feelings"

That's so beautiful. You're very descriptive.