Do I Look Like A Barbie To You? | Teen Ink

Do I Look Like A Barbie To You?

By Ahbreejerae SILVER, Eagle Creek, Oregon
Ahbreejerae SILVER, Eagle Creek, Oregon

"Beneath the makeup and behind the smile I am just a girl who wishes for the world."
-Marilyn Monroe

A Barbie doll. Skinny, blond, plastic, feminine, shiny, or in other words plastic. Fake would be another perfect word to describe a Barbie doll. Now with genetics making me blond, and being extremely feminine, I have the odds against me for what you would describe "fake".

A big word in what seems to be in every teenager's vocabulary is "fake". Apparently, if you wear dresses, make up, and always do your hair, you're "fake". For me there's no way around this word, and it almost seems as if I have it plastered on my forehead. Yes, I like dressing up and embracing femininity, but if that makes me "fake" then I have no hope for the future of the world. We literally can't go a day without making assumptions about who people are based off of appearance, rather than listening to their story. I can guarantee that people would be shocked if they knew anything about me, but since people are too ignorant to sit down and get to know me, I will be labeled as "fake".

I will admit that I love getting all dolled up, but do people honestly think that I always want to be made up? Of course there are times when all I want to do is throw my hair up and put on some sweats, but sadly due to my insecurity, I cannot. It gets tiring trying to make myself happy, especially when I get labeled for it.

How amazing would it be, if everyone could dress or look however they wanted without judgement being passed? Sadly enough, as a society we won't achieve that for quite some time. So in conclusion to the other "fake" girls out there like myself, embrace who you are, and letter your inner beauty shine out. Encourage those to see you for who you truly are, and if people can't grow up, don't sweat it.