Taking the Plunge | Teen Ink

Taking the Plunge

By AngelArtist93 BRONZE, Burlington, Kentucky
AngelArtist93 BRONZE, Burlington, Kentucky

Live like your going to die

The sky above me has dark, ominous clouds rolling in; a storm is coming, so I don’t have much time to do what I’ve come to do. I ascend the steps, each one taking me closer and closer to the sky. Many of my friends will call me crazy, while others will call me brave, but I’ve wanted to try this for a long time; I’ve wanted to feel the adrenaline rush that comes with being suspended off the ground by nothing but a mere elastic band.

I’ve reached the top and my stomach is filled to the brim with butterflies, while my head is filled with second thoughts and questions about my sanity. There’s a man by the long, thin ledge; I walk towards him and tell him that I’m scared because I’ve never done this before. I’m sure he’s heard this a million times before, but I had to confide in someone; I had to hear someone say I wasn’t completely nuts for doing this. But instead he said, “The longer you wait, the harder it will be to jump”; the next thing I remember is looking up at a break in the clouds, where the sky was a clear blue. The feeling was a mix between flying and accomplishment with a hint of courage. I will never forget this experience for as long as I live, not because it was awesome, but because it has taught me a lot.

Bungee jumping is a lot like going through life; you face many obstacles on your way to do what you want to do. Sometimes you have to face your fears, or you may second guess yourself, but in order to accomplish your goal or dream, you have to move past them and keep moving forward until you reach the finish line.

The stairs I had to climb in order to get to the top were an obstacle for me; they reminded me of how I have to push to improve myself and how, with each step, it gets harder and harder to obtain my goal. I know that every time I get closer to my objective, I start to doubt myself, and thoughts wander into my head, telling me that I don’t have what it takes to take another step. Yet, I choose to push forward, knowing that, even though I may trip along the way, I have the ability to do whatever I want to do, as long as I believe in myself and give myself a little push in order to get to the top.

Standing on the ledge, with nothing promising to keep me up except a rubber band, which could snap at any moment, is something you never forget. Sometimes, in life, a difficult decision has to be made; it’s like standing on that ledge, and you only have two choices: take the plunge, or walk away. It can be extremely terrifying, but if you choose to rely on your friends and family and ask their opinion, the answer can become clearer. I stood out on that ledge, yes, but there was a man there who helped calm my nerves and helped me make a decision to take the plunge. My family and friends help me in the same way; they encourage me, everyday, to do my best, and when I’m about to make a terrible mistake, they stop me.

I’m still on that ledge, in a way, about to take the plunge into my new life as an independent adult, but I feel as if I’m ready to take that step and get one step closer to my dreams becoming true. I’m scared, and I know that life is a bunch of steps, and I will always be pushing myself to take one more, and then another, but I will always have my friends and family behind me to catch me if I fall or the band snaps.

I was inspired to choose this experience for my essay because it left a real impact on me and made me inspired to do other things I've never tried before. I hope people will read this and realize that their is so many things out there, just waiting for us to discover, though some may be scary, we need to take the plunge and try them.