The Skirt | Teen Ink

The Skirt MAG

By EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana
EmilytheAuthor DIAMOND, St. Francisville, Louisiana

Be who you are and say what you feel because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. -dr. seuss

I will be the first to say that I am not materialistic. My friends label me as a goody-goody; my parents say I am conservative and modest when it comes to clothes. I don’t wear bikinis, and none of my skirts or shorts end above my knees. That is my choice.

So why, why did I feel so tempted? My family and I were in Target, and there it was, waiting. A skirt, specifically designed not to cover anything. It was tan and looked like something one of those anime schoolgirls would wear.

I checked my purse. The skirt cost $10. I had the money. I could buy it. I imagined walking into school and my pals’ jaws dropping. Guys would ask me out, and I would be happy. I could buy it – no, I should buy it.

I showed my mother. She was surprised but said it was my decision. My sister looked on enviously.

I went into the dressing room to try it on. So sure was I that this skirt would change me, somehow make me not what I am but what I wished to be. I slid my jeans off and put it on. Now for the decisive moment. I looked in the mirror. There I was – a geeky girl in a Superman T-shirt and sneakers. My glasses fogged up as I started to cry.

The skirt did not change me. Though it fit well and might make me look good in the eyes of ­today’s world, it was not me. I am not a girl who flirts or wears cool clothes to fit in.

I took the thing off and slid back into the ­comfort of modesty. My mom knocked on the door. “Emily, are you okay?”

I wiped away my tears. “I’m fine.” I looked in the ­mirror again and saw a blond skinny girl with dorky ­glasses and a ponytail. I saw myself.

bookwormjunkie, Dallas, Texas

WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!?!?!
or
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i sooo like this!!i mean, whats wrong with being dorky or geeky or nerdy? its SOOOOO much fun being yourself!even if u  are considered mean.

f1ndmycure2013 BRONZE, -, Alabama

Just don't give up on trying to do what you really want to do. Where there is love and inspiration, I don't think you can go wrong." ~ Ella Fitzgerald

I am a girl who does wear short skirts, but I don't do it for the benefit of others. I do it because I like how I look. I'm happy with it. Just like your happy wearing longer skirts and shorts. There's nothing wrong with it. That being said, I love your story. Very thought provoking and sincere. :)

maddiefacecupcake SILVER, Hamburg, New York

Dream as if you\'ll live forever. Live as if you\'ll die today.
-James Dean

i loved it! i like that it was just a short blurb, but still shows a lot of feeling and thought. I think that every girl goes through this, wheather she realises it, or gives in to what she's not. and sometimes, it IS who they are, not what they become....

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

I'm too scared to wear really short stuff.  Personally I think my legs are a little big.  My mom said they aren't though, plus I feel like everyone's staring at my but.  I hate that feeling.  I think that everyone can relate to your story though.  I really liked it!!! :)

VanillaDee said...
VanillaDee, Dunedin, Other

We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

I agree with your comment that this is an extremely inspiring story. It made me think twice about the tiniest things - what I wear, how I act - that make me remain true to myself. Good job!

Listen.to.me., Goshen, Massachusetts

hahahaha you talk funny :D in a good way :P

Listen.to.me., Goshen, Massachusetts
I wear a lot of short skirts, and shorts, and they ALWAYS go above my thigh. i also have a lot of friend that dress more with longer skirts and shorts. it doesn't matter how you dress, its how you feel about how you dress and how you act about it. I can't could how many girls i know that wear long skirts and are totally hot. HOWEVER your article made me really think about it and i KNOW HOW YOU FEEL, so yeah, keep writing, it was awesome, all the feelings were so clear.

poundz SILVER said...
poundz SILVER, San Antonio, Texas

this was great, be true to yourself for your own benefit

browneyedcat said...
browneyedcat, Melbourne Beach, Florida
Man. I thought I was the only one who didn't flaunt their flesh to the world. this is so inspiring. really great job! :D

TaylorJade BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia

You're not alive unless you're living.

I am a modest person. I don't wear jeans or shorts to school. Only skirts... I have long hair, and I don't cake on make up. Everyone thinks I am the way I am because of my religion. No! I am the way I am because I don't flaunt everything I have just to impress people. If you have to dress a certain way to get peoples' attention, you can forget it... I've realized they aren't good enough for me anyways. So, whether they like it or not, I'll stick with my nerdy self.

WriterFlirt32 GOLD, Zionsville, Indiana

"You can't spend life being afraid of everything because you'll end up doing nothing, but that." -Me

I know how you feel, I'm stylish, but I still feel like a geek, but we all have our style and clothes we are comfortable in. My question is why change it? You were right not to buy that skirt.

TeamTamani SILVER, Adams, Tennessee

"I don't need a cloak to become invisible."-Albus Dumbledore
"Fear of a name increases fear of a thing itself."-Albus Dumbledore
"By all means continue destroying my possessions. I daresay I have too many."-Albus Dumbledore

That was so good I loved it!! 

skyblue95 PLATINUM, Bear, Delaware

I am paraphrasing, of course. "My only fear is that when they are turned to loving they will find we are turned to hating." -Reverand Msimangu, Cry, The Beloved Country (a book by Alan Paton)

That was really good :) I smiled when I read it because it's true-you don't have to change the way you look or act just to get attention. It actually reminds me of something I'm going through right now... Awesome work :) Keep writing!

Love-is-painful BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

Live what you do, do what you love, Broken hearts hurt worse than broken bones

I know how you feel.

21311 said...
No one should have to dress a certain way to get attention. People should like each other for being themselves; not a wannabe Barbie in a short skirt. You made the right choice in sticking with what is truly you and being yourself. Sometimes regular jeans and dorky glasses get you further in life than tight clothing.

Freedom_Cow BRONZE, Manhattan, Kansas

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, we'd all be vegetarians." -- Paul McCartney
"I beseech thee to keep pure your highest ideals, strive ever towards them, let none stop ye or turn ye aside." -- The Charge of the Goddess

Thanks!

It was inspired be a video I found of a rescued bull dancing to the song "Joy to the World" that was being played to him at a Farm Sanctuary. 

That changed the way I look at a lot of different things.

Elizabeth_Day SILVER, Battle Ground, Washington
Freedom_Cow, you have, quite possibly, the awesomest screen name I have seen on Teen Ink... or anywhere else.

TheDuck GOLD said...
TheDuck GOLD, Braselton, Georgia

“Raids, bullets, crime... no problem. A missing duster? Crisis."-The Last Sacrifice
"If we stand for nothing, we'll fall for anything." -All Time Low

I know right!

FlyleafFreak DIAMOND, Loveland, Colorado

"I have faith in fools;self confidence my friends call it"~Edger Allan Poe
"In this world of infinite insanity, your friends are the best psychiatrists you will ever have."~Me

Lol sure anytime. Yeah, and I'd rather be the girl who doesn't date many boys and gets married for life instead of the one who dates 30 boys and goes through like 10 divorces because she was never in a relationship long enough to know what she needed/wanted.

TheDuck GOLD said...
TheDuck GOLD, Braselton, Georgia

I thought changing my look would make me different.  Truthfully, it made me look weird and awkward.  I wore all kinds of colors and designs.  I went back to my plain black and gray shirts and I felt, well, like me.  I may not be the kind of girl who has 30 boyfriends in a week and looks like a cardboard cutout, but I am me.  Your article made me happy to see that I am not the only nonconformist.  Thank you!