The Day He Came | Teen Ink

The Day He Came

The Day He Came

As I sat in the bleachers at my brother’s little league baseball game, I saw my mom with a nervous look on her face as she smiled at me. The game was almost over, and with one inning left, I couldn’t help but wonder what was on my mom’s mind. I watched my dad and her talk very quietly, and then smile at eachother. It looked like they were planning on something, like a prank they were going to pull on my brother and me. I sat patiently watching the ball hit the bat over and over again and waiting for the game to be over. Thinking about what kind of prank my parents were planning on pulling on my brother was killing me because it felt like it was taking forever.

The game was finally over and we walked to our car while my dad and brother reviewed the game he had just played and talked about how well he did. We got in the car, and sat there for about two minutes before I said, “Mom, aren’t you going to start the car?” She looked at my dad and they both smiled and my mom looked at me and my brother and said, “I’m pregnant.” My brother and I were speechless for about five minutes, and then for the rest of the car ride home, we argued about the baby being a boy or a girl.

Months passed as we all waited anxiously for March 14 to arrive. It felt like it was taking years, when in reality, it was only a few months away. Finally, it was the big day. My brother and I woke up and got ready as fast as we could while my grandparents waited outside in their car for us. On the way to the hospital, all I could think about was getting there as soon as possible, I yelled, “Go faster Granpda,” the whole way there. Even though my grandpa was driving fast, it still felt like we were never going to get there. We finally got to the hospital, entered the waiting room, and I saw my whole family sitting there smiling. My cousin ran over to me, hugged me and with the look of excitment in her eyes, she said, “I am going to have a new baby cousin!”

My cousin and I played on the elevator to pass time while waiting for my new sibling to be born. My aunt took my cousin and I to the cafeteria on the bottom floor of the hospital because we were hungry. As we ate, I started to worry and think that maybe the baby had been born already, so we got on the elevator and went back to the third floor. Right when the elevator door opened, my brother yelled, “Its a boy!” We all ran to the nursery room to see him. Without even looking at all of the babies in the nursery, I knew which one he was. Looking at his blonde hair and bright blue eyes, I remember thinking, I cant wait to take him home. As I listened to him cry, I heard my cousin say. “Oh my god, he’s so cute!” Sitting there looking at him, knowing that it would be a couple more days until he could come home, was one of the hardest parts. But the days flew by and before I knew it, he was lying in his crib, three doors down from my room. Even though it was almost five years ago, I still remember every detail of the day my brother, Tommy was born.
This will certify that the above work is completely original.