Stopping hunger, one person at a time | Teen Ink

Stopping hunger, one person at a time

By Artsygirl SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Artsygirl SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather that something is more important than fear.
" Let no one despise your youth instead be an example to the believers in speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity. " 1 Timothy 4:12

I believe strongly in serving the needy. I have been very blessed with the necessities in my life,
and then some. There are people that haven't had that privilege, and I want to help them, not because I expect anything in return, but because I genuinely care about the wellbeing of others.

Millions of people go to bed hunger, a vast number of people die from lack of food, and hundreds of nations are filed with hungry, poor, homeless people, without hope of food. Many parents starve themselves just to feed their children a measly meal.

Almost everyone knows this. What I'm telling you isn't anything new. But you've got to do more than read about people starving, you've got to act.

When my parents, my brother, and I saw the need for serving the hungry and homeless, we started to act to fill the need. I've served at food banks, soup kitchens, and homeless shelters, and I really enjoy it. I enjoy seeing the looks on people at the food banks, when we give them vegetables, cereals, and fruits. The looks that says, You really care about me. Thank you for your hard work. I appreciate it. Or the look on a little kid's face, of joy and pleasure when you play a Christmas Elf at a Santa's Workshop for Light of Life. Or the look of the mother's faces when they realize that their kids are being taken care of, that they are on a way to a better life. Money can't buy the happiness that those looks give me.

In Ephesians 6:7 it says: “Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men.”
That's what serving is. It's honoring the Lord by serving people. I always give 100 percent when I'm serving, but even then, I always feel as if the people I served gave me more than I could have ever given them.

The reason I feel so strongly about serving is this: If everyone served someone in his or her lifetime, the world could be a better place. If everyone served a few people, the world could be an even better place. If you could stop hunger in your community, wouldn't you want to do something? Don't just read this, act. Stop hunger in your community, one person at a time.

If you want to learn about how to stop hunger in your community go to my website at http://www.wix.com/Rayadropofgoldensun/Start-Serving. I made it so that the daunting task of serving someone, could be made a little bit easier.

I wrote this piece based on personal experience. I hope you gain something from it.