The power of words. | Teen Ink

The power of words.

By clairemaims BRONZE, Athens, Georgia
clairemaims BRONZE, Athens, Georgia
1 article 1 photo 54 comments

Your such a RETARD your so STUPID whats wrong with you RETARD,IDIOT.You may of heard these words around your school,around the city,store or any other place.You yourself may have used this word.All my life I have helped kids with severe disabilities.These kids were passion most of them could not tie their shoe or read a simple sentence at the age of 18 but one thing they all had were feelings.The smallest would bring joy to their eyes,spinning around brought laughter to their faces or sitting on the ground blowing bubbles would just make their days.But they also had feelings of sadness they would be sad when something is canceled or they broke their favorite toy.They had the feeling of anger.Anger when they just could not seem to tell you tell you what they wanted or anger when they fall or when WORDS are used against them.The word stupid,idiot,retard hurts.It can cause sadness anger low selfestem.I know how it feels.Living with a learning disablity is rough for me and I know what these words can do.I know by working with these kids how it hurts.Just think of how much the word love makes you feel or the word whore if it said to you how would that make you feel?You may say retard jokingly to a freind but someon who has a disability may hear you.
"Sticks and stones may break may bones but names will always hurt me"
THINK before YOU SPEAK!!

"Living with a learning disability and helping kids with severe disabilites has showed me how much words hurt and how they can way you down.So think before you speak."

clairemaims BRONZE, Athens, Georgia
1 article 1 photo 54 comments
Thank you! I know there may be some gramatical errors and what not but do to my ld it is kinda hard.

pandabearrrr SILVER, San Pedro, California

My only regret in life is that I wasn't somebody else.
- Woody Allen

I totally agree with this. I had a bunch of students from the special needs class in my PE class last year and I'd always try and help them or be their partner when they didn't have one. Other people would say such mean things to them it just makes me sick.

Good article (: