A Living Hell: My Anxiety | Teen Ink

A Living Hell: My Anxiety

Anxiety is a living hell.
I often think to myself, I can’t do this anymore. I can’t wake up one more day feeling like this. It needs to end. I can’t do it. I physically can’t take it. The suffering is too great. It outweighs the joy of living. But I can’t die because then my family will suffer what I suffer now. I couldn’t let that happen to them. Never. I would never wish even my worst enemy ever to experience this. Dying would be selfish. It would be giving into weakness. It would be too easy. And everyone knows that anything that is too easy is not right.
This immense pain lives in me. And it NEVER goes away. Imagine the worst possible feeling ever. Maybe it was a time when you were so sick that you thought you would die. Maybe it was the feeling when someone you loved died. Maybe you felt this way when you were petrified of flying on an airplane. Now imagine that feeling flowing through your body all the time. You can’t escape it. You can’t press PAUSE and turn it off for a minute. There’s no key to let it out.
When my anxiety first started my symptoms were very physical. Every day I was sent down to the nurse for hyperventilating and fainting in class. Or turning the color of a tomato. Or shaking so much that I couldn’t hold my pencil. Or sweating until my clothes were soaked. But then I learned how to hide it. I learned that if you internalize these feelings, they won’t show as much. So people thought I was better because I wasn’t passing out in class. Really, I was getting worse.
When I was little, I thought I knew what suffering was like. I thought I knew what suffering was when I was nervous because I didn’t know where my mom was. I thought I knew when I threw fits at night because I couldn’t sleep. I thought I knew when my dog died. I thought I knew when I had no friends in middle school. I thought I knew when I cried everyday. I thought I knew when my dad quit his job and we were scrounging for money. I thought I knew when my family had a scare because my grandmother was dying.
I thought I knew until now. I can’t imagine suffering more than this. I can’t imagine more pain than what I have now.
There is a forest where the trees are black and there is no more than a foot of space between each. On their trunks, the trees have giant metal spikes: pointy, thorny, and waiting to pierce your vulnerable skin. The black leaves of the trees are so thick that they cover the sky and no light shines through. There’s no room to breathe because the trees keep the air out. The ground of the forest is black ice that is as thick as the Earth and the sun are far apart. The forest continues for miles in every direction. Nothing can survive in this forest.
I live in this forest. And I have to get out. But I can’t. I can’t fly out because the leaves of the trees suck me back in and strangle me. I can’t walk out because the thorns will puncture my body and rip me apart. I can’t dig myself out because of the ice.
I’m like a man with no arms in a fistfight. It’s a lost battle.
You would think my only wish would be just to have one day- just ONE day without anxiety. That would be the worst thing possible. Because if I did have just one day without it, I would know what it is like to feel normal. I would know what it is like to not have pain rushing through my body every second. And then when the day is done, and I would have to go back to my anxiety, it would be even worse.

The most detrimental thing about anxiety and depression is that they are silent. The suffering is silent. No one knows. People look at you and see the happiest person in the world. They don’t know.

I just want it to go away. I just want to feel normal. God, I’ve learned my lesson if I’m being punished. I’ve learned it already! I will do anything now to make this feeling go away. I promise. Anything. I know it’s my fault. I know I make myself feel this way. But I don’t know how. And I don’t know how to stop.
I’ve tried every method. I’ve had so many people tell me they can’t help me. But all I ask of anyone is that they listen. Just listen. You don’t have to do anything. Just listen. Just understand. Just be there. Please, please, please. Someone, please.

I’ve learned what I needed to learn from this suffering. I’ve learned not to listen to my friends when they obsess over how they need to get into a good college. I’ve learned not to listen to people who think money is everything. I’ve learned what life is about. It’s about family, friends, and the wonderful little miracles that happen every day. It’s about appreciating what we have instead of wishing for what we don’t. It’s about knowing that happiness comes from your view of the world and not your place in the world. It’s about loving everyone, even if you hate his or her guts. It’s about helping others. It’s about giving. It’s about doing everything you can to make someone feel, or something be, a little better. And, if you believe, it’s about God.

But how much more do I need to suffer? How much longer will this last? What do I need to do, God? What?

This is EXACTLY how i feel! xx

anonymous said...

Your welcome.  Your mom may never be able to fully understand what it's like to have anxiety, but she can still be supportive of you.  

If you have any more questions, let me know!

1234wahoo said...
thanks.... haha its kind of overwhelming, which is kinda why im doubting myself..... im in wayy over my head and obviously have alot to deal with between now and the point when i am done with this. thank you for all the advice. well yes iv got my best frend, then iv got four other randomly selected by me frends (not necissarily close, just in a good position to listen) of whom i talk to constantly, two of whom are dealing with or have dealt with similar things, and then i told a few other people who want to be there for me (friends) and are trying to get involved and help me, i just have too many people to keep updating, so iv kept it to my original five. my mother wants to help but i dont think she will ever understand the intensity of the issue, and there is so much i can tell my friends i could never say to her, so shes not exactly my best alternative. thanks for answering my questions:)

anonymous said...
One other thing: remember to keep your thoughts positive!  I know how it feels and it's perfectly normal to say "I don't think I can do this alone", but if you truly want to get better, you're going to have to change that thought.  Have confidence in yourself.  You are fully capable of getting better without medication (most people do).  You shouldn't have to go through this physically alone (make sure you have support from other people), but at the same time, know that you can overcome your anxiety.  Replace that thought with, "It may take a while, but if I don't give up, I will get through this eventually."  I have confidence in you!

anonymous said...
You can't rely on medication to solve your problems.  What it can do is help you become calm enough to be able to utilize other techniques that you learn in therapy.  It does not solve the root of the problem.  You should find a therapist who specializes in cognitive-behavioral therapy for anxiety.  It's really important that you do that. 

1234wahoo said...
thanks for the advice... im not the best at conversations but i guess shell have to deal i mean shes very worried that we (brother and i) will turn out like our fathr, a depressed druggie. so i think that i gave her a big wakeup call when i told her i was be affected virtually all the time, she got worried. i dont know, somethign just doesnt feel right. i got the idea of pills from the guidance counselor, and now i really want them b/c i dont think i can do this alone. anyhow, thank u for ur advice. ohhhh how i hate this.

anonymous said...

I had a very difficult time with my parents in middle school, when my anxiety started.  They had no idea what was going on, were very scared, and somewhat in denial that anything was wrong (because every parent wants to think their child is perfect).  It was very frustrating for both of us.    You need to have a calm, thorough conversation with your mom and tell her exactly what is going on and ask her to help you get therapy.  Calmly tell her you are frustrated and that you know she probably is too.  If it doesn't work out, have your guidance counselor talk to her.  

Meds should be a LAST resort, and only a psychiatrist should prescribe them to you.  You should also be very carefully monitored while on meds- even have someone else administer the dose to you.  That is, if you ever get to that point.  I only began medication when my anxiety got so bad I couldn't go to school anymore.  

Also, just because your dad struggles with addiction, does not mean that you will end up the same way.  My advice to you is to be very aware that you might be more prone to addiction and take precautions.  Practice willpower and awareness in everything you do.  

Again, therapy is your best bet.  And remember, it may take a couple therapists before you find one that is right for you, so don't give up.  Best of luck!

1234wahoo said...
thank u, some very insightful tips. u c i am only in middle school (8th grade) so the only self-help person i can get to is my guidance counselour, and i am currently receiving his services but only because he has forced them upon me. him, as well as a few very select people in my life i have been using as advisors lately, have all urged me to tell my mother. she knows i have anxiety, iv had it snce i was little, she just didnt realize how big ofan effect it had on me, and then she doesn tknow how bad it is now. she ignored itmost of the time when i was small, and i thought if i told her it wouldnt work out. well, thursday night she noticed i was rather upset and shes been noticing iv been acting different lately. she started prying me with questions and acted as if she knew everything about me, which angered me and i threw my anxiety up in her face as a point that she doesnt know how i feel. i told heran edited version of my story, and she wants to send my to therapy, and absolutely refuses pills, b/c valium is one of my father's many addictions which recently landed him in rehab. this is quite a shame, as i had been hoping i could get the pills and they would work great and i would be fine, or at least they would help, b/c i dont believe i can kick this alone. btu like you said, i used to worry about stupid little things that wont matter in ten years, almost all the time. but i have somehow made my way up to worrying about things that could affect me for years or even for the rest of my life. i run circles in my mind arguing with myself and obsessingover these things, and its horrible because no mater what i do, i can only shake it for a bit, soon im doing it again. haha..... this is quuuite the i guess struggle blahhh

anonymous said...

1.  First very important thing:  get help.  If you can't see a psychologist or social worker outside of school, your high school should have social workers who can help you.  Ask your guidance counselor.  

2.  I've had severe GAD and OCD for seven years now.  I went through 3 psychologists before I found one I really liked.  I'm now working with a school social worker and psychologist.  

3.  My advice:  I definitely have gotten much better now.  The main source of my anxiety is school, and I've found a group of teachers who are very supportive of me.  I go to them in school whenever I need to and they help me often.  Be very open about your anxiety.  You'll find a lot of people suffer from it.  If you want to help yourself, you have to be willing to change your lifestyle and way of thinking drastically.  I've found the best help in having a sense of humor.  Also, put your thoughts in perspective.  If you are anxious over something, think, does this really matter in the long run?  Will I remember this ten years from now?  What good am I doing myself being anxious over it?  Accept uncertainty and know that there's always a second chance if you mess up the first time.  Exercise every day- really important!!!  Eat well- it makes you feel much better.  There are many types of relaxation techniques you can use.  Deep breathing, meditation, visualization, muscle relaxation, listening to a relaxation CD with a script...there are a lot.  Try taking yoga classes, or power yoga if you get restless.  Or buy a yoga DVD.  I've found that medication has worked wonders for me.  It took me a very long time to find the right combination of meds, but it's worth it.  I'm also very religious, so I've found help in that too.  Find a group of people who understand how you feel- other people struggling with these things.  That helps a lot.  Try finding a hobby or something you are passionate about.  Writing helps me- it's very cathartic.  Volunteering to help others who are worse off than you can really put your life in perspective.  Figure out what your goals are in life and make sure they are realistic.  By the way, happiness is a choice- you can choose to be happy no matter what situation you are in.  Be appreciative.  Help others.  Don't listen to people in school who are obsessed about grades and whatnot.  Having anxiety matures you greatly; it makes you grow up, which puts you at a bit of an advantage over your peers.  Know what's important to you in life and live for it.  Always, always, always keep a positive attitude and don't give up.  Recognize negative thoughts you have and replace them with a positive one.  People like you and me often have a strong trait- perseverance.  No matter what, don't give up.  Even if it takes seven years (like me), you will find a solution.  But getting help is the first step!  

1234wahoo said...
wow... very intense read... iv got GAD and am currently battlignit soo ahrd liek i never have before. i feel like u do somewhat, sometimes my feeligns are the same with different details....i sort of have a posisbility of getting help but i dont think that will happen very soon. iw as wodnering have u learned to control it any better? b/c i kud use any tips at all rite now.... i try to keep myself busy but i am learning that even while doign things my anxiety can creep in and take over. i also, when am obsessing over something ridiculous(such as one of my big obsess factors which i obsess over everyday almost all the time) i try to tell myself why what my thoughts are are not true, and i end up ahving an arguement with myself. i try to push the thougts away, so i can enjoy myself, but the notion is always tehre so i remain anxious im just not currently obsessing. when my stomach ties up (very common like almost everyday rare if its skips a day) i try depe breathing, but that usually only works for a couple of minutes. i dontknwo if it will help i use a very specific deep bretahign excercise pattern. my frend suggested i try meditation. for himit is a cultural tradition and he sometimes does it b/c he is supoosed to he says it helps him but he has no anxiety. once again any tips? and i wish u the best of luck withur struggle..... haha by the way this is random but i live in sudbury which isnt too far from lexington, and one of best friends lives in lexington.... just a random little fact

LilyC said...
LilyC, Lexington, Massachusetts
This is amazing. Keep it up! And keep pushing through your suffering. Don't give up.